ATX Community

NT / Is It Just Me?

RitaB

Every year I say I'm going to disappear on April 15. These things actually happened to me:

Person #1 (carrying folder full of crap): I could probably do this myself...

Me: OK, good! Thanks!

Person #2: I did my own return and don't know where to mail it.

Me: Do you owe or are you getting a refund?

Person #2: Well, I don't owe.

Persons #3, 4, 5: Say nothing. #3 slids a stimulus package across my desk. It has #4's name on it.

Me to #3: Didn't you claim #4 as a dependent?

Person #3: Yes.

Me: Didn't you call me a month ago and ask about this, and I told you #4 does not qualify for rebate?

Person #3: Yes, but we wanted to be sure.

(I still have no idea who #5 is.)

I hope I am not at my office ever again on April 15...

Just got a call from a client asking for an extension for 2007. I reminded her that filing 2004, 2005,and 2006 might be a good idea also. I've been at this so long that they just don't bother me any more. It does get interesting at this time of year!

HaHa! I also had one to stroll in yesterday at about 3:00 with a check to mail with his extension request. First time I have seen him since April 15, 2007 when he did the same thing. Hasn't filed since 2004. So happy, so casual, no worries. I wanted to choke the life out of him. I have been at this for 13 years, and I'm not doing as well as you are... maybe it's a problem with my birth certificate or something. I will be working on this, though...

I've been in practice for over 30 years. I decided long ago that the clients' problems are not problems of mine unless I cause them. I try not to get emotionally invested in the clients and strive to remain objective at all times. If they choose to procrastinate, it's on their head, not mine. I actually like to have a few of the screw-ups as they always provide an opportunity for more revenue in the off season. Also, many of them are very entertaining!

Greed will bring them in. Had a client whose son had not picked up or paid for his 2007 Return. I had amended 2004, 2005 and 2006 for the self-prepared client. He didn't take the Retirement Savings Credit. Had no idea what it was.

Anyhow, I told him he had to pick up and file his amendments by mail and that 2004 was going to drop off at midnight on the 15th. I think his refund was $279. Well, Mom finally showed up yesterday; paid for her amendments and the son's return. I told her that I wasn't going to attempt to amend any of his back returns because he wasn't very responsible about how he handled this year.

Guess what! When ack came back for son; he had a nice big I debt indicator code. No wonder he was in no hurry. He knew he wasn't going to get the refund anyway. It sure gets OLD sometimes.

Greed will bring them in. Had a client whose son had not picked up or paid for his 2007 Return. I had amended 2004, 2005 and 2006 for the self-prepared client. He didn't take the Retirement Savings Credit. Had no idea what it was.

Anyhow, I told him he had to pick up and file his amendments by mail and that 2004 was going to drop off at midnight on the 15th. I think his refund was $279. Well, Mom finally showed up yesterday; paid for her amendments and the son's return. I told her that I wasn't going to attempt to amend any of his back returns because he wasn't very responsible about how he handled this year.

Guess what! When ack came back for son; he had a nice big I debt indicator code. No wonder he was in no hurry. He knew he wasn't going to get the refund anyway. It sure gets OLD sometimes.

client came in yesterday to get copy of 06 state he had not filled ,he owed, called today , he had called state and they told him they did not show that he owed anything , dud, I told him of course state did not show him at oweing, he had not mailed in the 06 form,yet, and I'm still not sure he understood when he hung up.