ATX Community

Payment plan

Pacun

Let's say that your client owes 1K to the IRS and he will be paying $200 per month. Do you really need a payment plan or just make those payments until you finish? Will the IRS try to collect that $1K if you respond to their first letter with a $200 payment?

>> Let's say that your client owes 1K to the IRS and he will be paying $200 per month<<

Are we talking about 2006? They will let the current year go (with only an increasingly threatening letter every month or so) for quite a while. Anything older, it's probably best to set up a schedule but you can put that off for some time too. Start getting more responsive when you receive the notice of intent to levy.

Let's say that your client owes 1K to the IRS and he will be paying $200 per month. Do you really need a payment plan or just make those payments until you finish? Will the IRS try to collect that $1K if you respond to their first letter with a $200 payment?

He actually owes $660+, but I don't think he could afford maybe more then $25-30 a month.

Eli

Pacun:

I think IRS will automatically give the client 4 months if he just calls & asks.

I handled one a few months ago by calling IRS with the client on the line. Amount due was about $3K and they were expecting some money to be received to pay off the balance. IRS dated the file forward 120 days & said they could make payments toward the balance during that time if they wanted to, or they could wait until the end of the 120 days & pay it all. There was no fee for this extended collection period, other than the normal P&I which accrued.

As it turned out, the expected windfall didn't materialize so they called back about two weeks before the end of the period & explained that the money still wasn't there. At that point the IRS just converted it to a monthly payment plan extending it out over a year, and at that time charged the fee for setting up the plan.

It seems to me that the IRS, as with any creditor, simply wants to know what is intended in terms of payment. A better plan than silence, is to let the IRS know the creditor's intentions. I think that time spent in properly setting up a payment plan, which, of course, gives one proof of acceptance to the plan by the IRS, is the prudent thing to do. All parties, then know what to expect.