ATX Community

CP2000 letters going out for 2005 (hurricane benefits ignored)

Cathy

Just a little heads up if your client receives a CP2000 notice for the 2005 tax year that completely disregarded the hurricane benefits such as: 10% penalty elimination for a qualified distribution, the additional child tax credit based on the 2004 income and the earned income credit based on the 2004 earned income....I called the number on the CP2000 letter and the agent told me that the computer did not recognize the hurricane benefits and I was told to send a hard copy of the return. I have called the e-file office in New Orleans and they are cooperating in trying to straighten out the situation. Hopefully, I will only be the lucky preparer to see these letters, but if you do have one....just wanted you to know you're not alone! :angry: (I had originally e-filed the return and ALL appropriate forms were sent in the e-file.)

And . . . . Ogden is sending out notices disallowing the sales tax deduction on Schedule A for 2006 because "the itemized deduction for state and local sales taxes is no longer allowed." It appears that the IRS computers need to be burped because they are certainly being cranky!

Maribeth

Oh well, more to get paid for. And my job is trying to get me to go to 40 hours a week......and this will give them more ammunition.

The problem is that most clients will not come back to you if they receive a letter from the IRS. Clients think you made a mistake and that's the reason why they received the letter.

The problem is that most clients will not come back to you if they receive a letter from the IRS. Clients think you made a mistake and that's the reason why they received the letter.

My job is doing CP2000s for people that have bought audit insurance. They're my bread and butter. If my private clients get CP2000s, I have a good enough rapport to explain the matter. Sometimes its something they didn't give me, or in the case of one which keeps getting 1099s with trustee fees as in box 7, I warn them that they will likely get a letter, and I will take care of it.