ATX Community

Puts and Calls

Karen Lee

I would like a good resource in learning how to report stock options. I have a return to do with puts and calls and have never reported these before.

HELP!!

Karen

If you have the 1040 QuickFinder, see pgs. 7-7, 7-8, and 7-15; also Pubs 525 and 15-B if it is an employee stock option. That will at least get you started.

This site is a good learning source from the industry. Puts and calls are not as complicated as they seem. The Tax Book and Quickfinders both have good descriptions but the Options Council site gives you both the tax side and how to understand how they really work, which really helps in understanding some clients strategies. My wife uses a lot of options, sometimes over fifty in one year, but she does not use the conventional ways.

http://www.optionseducation.org/

I had only one client who made use of puts and calls. His annual paperwork included some excellent explanations about how to report them. I think he trade through Schwab.

Yes, I received some of these from my clients also. So be sure to ask your client for any such information [clients don't always bring you all the paperwork they received-at least mine don't].

I know. I have to beg and plead for the annual reports, especially if they were mailed separately from the consolidated 1099s. But, they'll include all those useless marketing brochures from their brokers and banks in the stack of papers they bring me.