ATX Community

COD & basis reduction

Max W

And you better prepare the IRS insolvency worksheet before you file because the IRS will ask for it. At least, they used to. I'm not sure if attaching the worksheet will avert a notice or not. And keep all the bank statements, etc. supporting the asset bases and liability amounts, on the day before the the debt was cancelled.

Was the 1099-C timely or several years later, like often happens.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

And you better prepare the IRS insolvency worksheet before you file because the IRS will ask for it. At least, they used to. I'm not sure if attaching the worksheet will avert a notice or not. And keep all the bank statements, etc. supporting the asset bases and liability amounts, on the day before the the debt was cancelled.

Was the 1099-C timely or several years later, like often happens.

Not insolvent.  Client has equity in 3 rental properties.  I made a mistake, he financed a business with the cards, not the rentals. He has about $350K in additional credit card debt, but only $40K cancelled this year.  Business is gone since 2017.

So with the $350K, he would be insolvent.