ATX Community

Business Codes

Dan

What code would you use for a professional golfer?  I used earlier 999999 (unable to classify).  This number is no longer listed in the principal business or professional activity codes, now the number is 999000.  The client goes to golf tournaments, makes money and has expenses attending these events.  Is there something that needs to be done to change this code to another code? 

For Dan and other readers, here is the NAICS lookup site: https://www.naics.com/search/

Dan, type in "golfer" in the search box on that site and the code "711219" comes up with the following description:

This U.S. industry comprises (1) independent athletes, such as professional or semiprofessional golfers, boxers, and race car drivers, primarily engaged in participating in live sporting or racing events before a paying audience; (2) owners of racing participants, such as cars, dogs, and horses, primarily engaged in entering them in racing events or other spectator events; and (3) establishments, such as sports trainers, primarily engaged in providing specialized services required to support participants in sports events or competitions.

• Like 1

When I enter 711219 into the business code section for Schedule C in Drake it says your entry is not valid for a business code.  Also, that number is not listed in Principal Business or Professional Activity Codes on pages C-18 to C-20 of IRS instructions for Schedule C.  

When I got a red error preventing me from efiling a database provider, ATX tech help just told me that IRS had changed its biz codes.  519100 still shows up online as a valid code but ATX wouldn't accept it; 999000 fixed that -- but, oy, it just doesn't smell right.

Has anyone received a reject for an invalid business code, or is it just the software not allowing it?

The IRS says 999999 will still be accepted (at least for TY22 on F1040):

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/update-to-principal-business-activity-code-2022-instructions-for-schedule-c-form-1040

As of January 25, 2023, the Instructions for Schedule C (Form 1040) have been revised to provide the updated principal business activity code for an unclassified establishment. The code has changed from 999999 to 999000. Individual filers can use either 999999 or 999000. Business filers must use 999000.