ATX Community

IRS extensions due to disasters

Max W

California and some other states have been issued automatic extensions, on a county by county basis, that were affected by winter storms, flooding, tornados, etc.

IRS says - "Following the disaster declaration issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, individuals and households affected by severe winter storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides that reside or have a business in Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras ........ qualify for tax relief. The declaration permits the IRS to postpone certain tax-filing and tax-payment deadlines for taxpayers who reside or have a business in the disaster area. 

Question.  If you live in an affected county but were not personally affected, do you still get the extension?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Max W said:

Question.  If you live in an affected county but were not personally affected, do you still get the extension?

I am trying to "shame" my CA clients who ask me if they get the extension by asking them "Were you affected?".   If they say yes then it is not an issue, if they say no I ask them why they need the extra time?

But the quick answer to your question is YES, anyone who resides or owns a business in those counties will get an automatic extension of time to file and pay their 2022 taxes.   

There is a checkbox on the main form that you can click that says Disaster.   Then you can fill in the words CA Winter Storms for the description.   The IRS will check the county and you should be good to go.

Tom
Longview, TX

What "main form"? Are you talking about when you file their Form 1040? Or, are you filing extension Forms 4868? I thought we did NOT have to file Forms 4868 for our CA clients (except in about 3 counties).

And, while I'm typing, what are the three (?) counties that do NOT get automatic extensions?

9 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

What "main form"? Are you talking about when you file their Form 1040? Or, are you filing extension Forms 4868? I thought we did NOT have to file Forms 4868 for our CA clients (except in about 3 counties).

And, while I'm typing, what are the three (?) counties that do NOT get automatic extensions?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.   In ATX it is on the State Information Worksheet at the very bottom.

I am not sure of all the counties that are not included, but Orange county is one of them (just looked it up today for a client).

image.thumb.png.9f67a1d06290fd4f85a807a76c146b0f.png

Oh, thanks, I don't use ATX, so data entry is different.

And, I just found the latest (I think) IRS notice that states the only CA counties NOT qualified are Lassen, Modoc, and Shasta. Now I need to check addresses of my clients.

Happy Easter/Passover/Ramadan/Spring/Tax Season!

• Like 1