ATX Community

Tax payer transmittal letter changes after efiling

Robbie

On the last two tax returns that I have efiled, the client letter changes the direct debit amounts for each of the quarterly payments to a wrong number after transmitting the efile to ATX.  I just spoke with a representative at ATX who, after half an hour, told me that it is a problem with ATX and they are working on it. I was told the efile transmittal to the IRS used the correct numbers, not the incorrect numbers appearing in the client letter after I have filed.

• Angry 1

I print a pdf of the letter and the tax return for my files after I have created an efile and use that to print or email to the client. So that isn't a problem.  The problem is after doing that and closing the file, the next time the file is opened on ATX the federal and state estimates are different from what I transmitted.  I've never had the file change before after creating an efile without the original efile being flagged red.  Weird.  The first time it happened I was afraid that the incorrect numbers were transmitted to the IRS but I am told that didn't happen.  Nevertheless, I will monitor those clients and confirm that the direct debits for the due dates are accurate.  It was a lot of fun to lose an hour or two of uncompensated time.

I have been having a kinda similar problem with Drake this year.

On some 1040 clients when I update the client from 2021 to 2022, the 2021 federal & state tax liability $ amounts change

and don't match the $ amounts on the 2021 filed returns? Then I have to correct the $ amounts.

It's a minor issue which only affects penalty and interest calculations and the potential taxability of state refunds if the client itemized.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cbslee said:

On some 1040 clients when I update the client from 2021 to 2022, the 2021 federal & state tax liability $ amounts change

and don't match the $ amounts on the 2021 filed returns? Then I have to correct the $ amounts.

I've noticed the same, and have been checking those figures on all my returns.

• Like 1