ATX Community

Filing Tax Due Return with ACH Request

Burke

I never use direct debit.  I kid you not, I've had the IRS 'double dip' and take clients' money twice on 2 different occasions.  I call, hold forever, yes, we took it twice, blah blah blah, we'll return it in 10 weeks.  TEN WEEKS!

No way.  I just refuse to do it.  Direct pay all the way.  I even made an instruction sheet for clients re:  the same ;).

• Like 2

Wow!  Fortunately that has never happened - so far! - with any of my clients.  I would appreciate your sharing of your instruction sheet for the future.  Many of my folks are just so grateful to not have any more interaction with the internet than absolutely necessary.  And for estimated payments to not have to remember to pay on time.  For those few who still insist on sending paper checks, they are now getting concerned about the rash of check washing rascals.

• Like 1

As long as the return is submitted by midnight April 18, the debit payment is considered timely.  On the last day it sometimes takes a while to get acknowledgements, but as long as it was submitted it's still timely.  For those last-minute filings with instructions to debit on the 18th, it may take a day or two for the debit to occur, but still considered timely because the instructions were there--same as if you mailed the return and it was postmarked on time but received later.

I still have a stack of returns to do, and a bunch with missing info.  I'll get some of those out tomorrow and spend the rest of the day figuring out how much the others have to pay with their extensions.  Instead of having people on extension pay 1st quarter estimates, I'm adding the first quarter to the extension payment so the excess will be applied and cover the estimate.  Sunday will probably be file extensions day.  Tuesday will be SLEEP and EAT day.

• Like 3