ATX Community

Quickbooks question

Mel in Hawaii

We have an old version of Quickbooks (2001) that we have been using to generate monthly invoices on. As we are shutting down and transferring responsibilities, the person responsible for this will be changing and the new user will need to be trained. Anyone have any issues I should be looking out for with users using two different versions of the program trying to access the data? I know the 2001 version didn't like opening the file off the network (amongst other problems like the installation program not liking installing on XP or Vista, yet once installed it works) but eventually I got it to work.

So, obviously I don't use Quickbooks, so I am asking you what kind of problems I should be looking out for?

My biggest concern is if the new version opens the old file and makes changes, will the old version be able to open it again?

We have an old version of Quickbooks (2001) that we have been using to generate monthly invoices on. As we are shutting down and transferring responsibilities, the person responsible for this will be changing and the new user will need to be trained. Anyone have any issues I should be looking out for with users using two different versions of the program trying to access the data? I know the 2001 version didn't like opening the file off the network (amongst other problems like the installation program not liking installing on XP or Vista, yet once installed it works) but eventually I got it to work.

So, obviously I don't use Quickbooks, so I am asking you what kind of problems I should be looking out for?

My biggest concern is if the new version opens the old file and makes changes, will the old version be able to open it again?

Once you convert the data to the newer version there is no going back to the older version.

I'm a real neophyte with QB, but here's what I'd add: As you've been told, if you update a company file to a newer version, you must now work with it in the newer version. With that many years between versions, I'd take lots of precautions. Back up the older version, more than once, and keep it safe; also, keep the older program CDs, so you can load it if needed. Or, just keep the older version and company file as is, renamed so you can get to it if needed. If any difficulty in upgrading the company file to the newer version, call on QB. Their daytime telephone support is US-based, but night time could be here or overseas. You can send your company file to QB for them to convert and send back to you to restore into your new program. I'd also keep lots of hard copies both to check on the conversion and to refer to if you have to recreate anything -- transition point P&L, balance sheet, chart of accounts, last invoices sent and statements with current balances owed, invoicing done in new program, documentation of any activity you're performing in QB, etc., until you're comfortable that you have and can retrieve everything of importance.

Whenever you upgrade to a newer version of QB, you can choose to keep the old version active. I presently have QB2007 and QB2008 on one computer and can open either of them, depending on the client. I also have older versions of QB on an older computer that I keep active for other reasons.

But as has been mentioned, QB is not backward compatible (is anything?). Once you upgrade the data file to a newer version, it can't be restored to an older version of QB.

You both have to be using the same version of the file to transfer the data file back and forth. You can purchase older versions of quickbooks on ebay for fraction of the original cost.

If the client is sending you an accountant's copy, you can send back your changes. This works for one previous QB version. In other words if the client is using QB2007 and you are using QB2008, you can still send the client your changes. But this only works back one year in QB versions.

If you're just receiving his QB file, to prepare his return, for instance, and have no need to return it to him, then you can open his file as long as you have the same or newer year and at least the same version (must have pro or premier if he has pro, for example). If you want to make changes and return it to him to incorporate your changes, more details come into play.

I wasn't trying to 'prepare a return'... I was transferring responsibilities from one user in Hawaii to another in Miami. In the end I just had them use remote desktop to train the user on the orriginal machine. Now when they are ready, we can just upgrade the file and use remote desktop in reverse to support the user until they are comfortable and the orriginal user is let go.

As far as multi-year compatibility with other programs, take Excel for example. You can still save your files as Excel 4.0 compatible and share them across versions. It doesn't make sense with tax programs, but I wouldn't think accounting changes that much each year to require new formats all the time. Must be just a mechanism to get you to upgrade all the time.