ATX Community

Accrued Interest Paid & Accrued Market Discount

joanmcq

I am trying to figure out how to enter a1099-Int that has both accrued interest paid and accrued market discount on US government bonds.  Right now I have an adjustment to box 3b (interest on Treasury obligations) for the accrued interest which subtracts it from the interest total on Sch B.  But I also have a bond which was sold (also US gov) with accrued market discount.

Should I just make another interest input for the accrued market discount (which I believe should be added to the interest income) or is there some other way to present this?

I've had to dummy up a 1099INT before.

One fallback on OID: there is a de minimis rule (Pub 1212) if the OID is less than 1/4 of 1% of the instrument.  The pub gives an example of a $1,000 instrument with OID of $20--this is not reportable as it is less than the $25 threshold for a $1,000 instrument. 

There is also information in Pub 550.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I dummied up a 1099-INT.

Then you must have split the interest amount into two separate 1099-INT forms, because the adjustments have to be less than or equal to the interest amount. I've combined multiple adjustments into one number routinely over the years, and never had a problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Then you must have split the interest amount into two separate 1099-INT forms,

This isn't an adjustment listed on a 1099-INT, there's nothing to combine.  It's accrued interest on a 1099B that needs to be deducted from the gain and put on Sch B as interest income. 

• Like 1