ATX Community

2020 Refund

Lion EA

Did anyone here find out when the last day we can file for a 2020 refund is, straight from the IRS? Is it 15 April 2024 or 15 May or...? What if client had a 2020 extension, is it then 15 October 2024? I really tried finding the answer on irs.gov. And, searched here, too.

(Have a client who passed away a year ago, and her sister-in-law is trying to gather information for this late filer who ran about 3 years behind all the time.)

• Like 1

Thank you, that's what I was remembering, but the only thing I found in my searches was trade publications and not IRS. Going to save that release.

And that same executor just wrote to me this morning that 2021 is due in two weeks, and now has me second guessing myself. Let me write it out for my sanity: 2021, due 2022, so +3 = 2025. Is my mind still working? And, that was the July deadline in 2021?

And, what if deceased client filed an extension, let's say 2021 (she filed extensions every year and then actually filed a couple or three or more years at once!) but did NOT end up filing 2021 yet, because she died in 2023. Do we get 3 years from October 2021?

Executor told me lawyer filed 2023 returns. I had her confirm that yesterday, and he told her he filed only Form 706. Client died January 2023, so did we miss that due date/extension possibility?! I am so tired of this client. I'm so tired. I have an S-corp shareholder still questioning me for the last two weeks (again this afternoon) on individual lines from his 3-page P&L, but he has his own bookkeeper who created the P&L.

Thank you for letting me vent !!! My daughter sent me an You Got This gift box, so I'm going to light the candle and eat chocolate and get some work done!

• Like 3