ATX Community

Amending a Amended Tax Return

ILLMAS

I have a client who needs to amend a couple of years of his tax returns for immigration purposes, in 2001 he had his tax return amended to include his 2 sons. He had orignally not included the sons, then they amended his return to include both of them. Now I have to amended again to remove the 2 sons. I would just use the last amended return as the most recently filed or this is imposible to amended the same return more then once?

Thanks

Yes. it is OK to amend an amendment, as long as the first amendment is old enough to be in the system.

If you filed a 941C last year for payroll tax year 2005 and need to amend it again, do you amend the original 941's or do you amend the 941's as amended by the first 941C.

>>He had originally not included the sons, then they amended his return to include both of them. Now I have to amended again to remove the 2 sons.<<

Would you mind sharing what this is all about? Was he trying to game the tax system but found that immigration doesn't play games, or is he just not sure if his wife has been messing around behind his back?