ATX Community

scary stuff

BrewOne

Second time this has happened to me this year (first was my own return), initial opening of a return in ATX that's been rolled over and there are entries on the 8949.  This one was short term gain from "excess distributions" to the tune of $97k. 

Because this client has a complicated K-1 (1065), I thoroughly went through last year's return and all the worksheets (including basis).  Definitely nothing that should show up on this year's return (except some passive losses).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I seem to recall that happening to me once some time ago.  I deleted that return and rolled over again.  It was fine then.  A one shot event for me.  Also pointed again to how we must be aware of what's happening and what to expect as an outcome.  For me, I typically do a quick review of client documents and have a (really) rough idea of expected bottom line.

Such things as a note for QCD and a state deduction or credit which doesn't show up alerts me to something I may have missed.  But really not nice to have data that shouldn't be there before even beginning.  Did support have any clues?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BrewOne said:

that is correct.  out of the blue.  Fortunately, I saw the large amount due when I opened this return and went hunting for the culprit.

What was the culprit?  I would have done what Margaret did.  Delete, go back to 2022 program, open, save. Then back to 2023 program and rollover again.

• Like 1