ATX Community

IRS refund adjustment??

artp

Taxpayer called that the IRS had shorted his 2023 refund by $1620 (direct deposit) and was wondering why. No correspondence from the IRS.  Looking at his return he had a LT capital loss of $13,500 which of course was limited to $3000 as shown on the return.  Looks like they adjusted his refund calculated $13,500 at his effective tax rate of 12% = $1620. Does not make sense. If they were disallowing the loss then should have been $3000 at 12% = $360. Seems very strange. Am I missing something?

• Sad 1

I'm currently on the phone with PPL for a reduction in a 2023 refund for a 2019 additional assessment.  My client never got the CP letter since his wife is in the army and they move quite frequently.  His address on record was/is his dads and apparently his dad didn't take notice of any IRS letters.  I'm not sure if I will be able to do anything for him.  

Learned a lesson though - I'm getting 2848 for all my clients in the military so I can get the correspondence. 

• Like 6