ATX Community

ATX E-file Info form and Form 8879

MAMalody

It has become apparent that the IRS will cease the current use of Form 8453 in the near future. I have always used Form 8453 for all the e-filed returns. Therefore, I am going to use the returns I have on extension to familiarize myself with the use of Form 8879..or at least try. I have reviewed the ATX info and am a little confused. Is there somebody with a little or a lot of patience out there that can give me step-by-step procedures on how to enter the data through to filing the return? My practice is totally internet based and the client will not be able to enter any PIN numbers themselves. If this format does not lend itself to this type of format, let me know and maybe we could try e-mail. Thank you.

The 8879 is VERY easy. All you do is list a 5 digit number on the worksheet for both the husband and wife which flows to the 8879. On the 8879 a box is checked for each signature that says "I authorize __(you)____ to enter or generate my PIN. The taxpayer can see the number when he signs the form and if he doesn't want to use that number, he can let you know. I always use the last 5 digits of their SSN. I think some have said they use the same number for everyone. I always just hand or mail the form to the taxpayer and don't even mention the PIN number to avoid having to explain it to them. When I get it back, I then transmit it. It almost seems too simple to be true, but it is.

If you have other questions, just private mail me.

Gene

The 8879 is VERY easy. All you do is list a 5 digit number on the worksheet for both the husband and wife which flows to the 8879. On the 8879 a box is checked for each signature that says "I authorize __(you)____ to enter or generate my PIN. The taxpayer can see the number when he signs the form and if he doesn't want to use that number, he can let you know. I always use the last 5 digits of their SSN. I think some have said they use the same number for everyone. I always just hand or mail the form to the taxpayer and don't even mention the PIN number to avoid having to explain it to them. When I get it back, I then transmit it. It almost seems too simple to be true, but it is.

If you have other questions, just private mail me.

Gene

Sounds like I was trying to make it too difficult...just because I didn't like to change. How about the 1040 E-file Info tab? Do I just check Practitioner Pin and only use Section A? On a sample return, I don't see any effect of entering a "date signed." Is there one?

How about the 1040 E-file Info tab? Do I just check Practitioner Pin and only use Section A? On a sample return, I don't see any effect of entering a "date signed." Is there one?

Yes, you just check Practitioner Pin and only use A. Be sure to check the ERO entered box. If you don't enter a date, the program won't accept it, but like you say, it doesn't flow to the 8879. I always write in the date when I sign it. Maybe the date signed transmits with the return even though you have to write it in on the 8879. The rest of the form fills in by itself. When I first started using the form, I felt like there HAD to be more to it than that.

Gene

I always use the client's zip code for the PIN number.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Kenner, LA

You can use any 5 digits you would like for the PIN's.

Although, it is recommended that you use a different PIN for the ERO than the clients.

Also, your ERO PIN should remain the same on all returns.

You can use any 5 digits you would like for the PIN's.

Although, it is recommended that you use a different PIN for the ERO than the clients.

Also, your ERO PIN should remain the same on all returns.

I agree with your comments.

Guess I wasn;t clear. For the client's PIN I always use their zip code, and reverse it for the spouse.

For the ERO (my) PIN I use my PTIN number, which remains the same for all returns.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Kenner, LA