ATX Community

Auditor hasn't returned calls

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I have been calling an auditor since December 19, 2008 to try to set up an audit for a client. I finally went ahead and faxed over the POA on 12/29/08 and left another message. I called again today and no answer. Her voice mail just says that she is away from her desk. We were supposed to have responded by December 25. My client is worried that they will be in trouble, because this hasn't been scheduled. The only telephone numbers that we have are the ones on the letter dated December 15. Should I just wait until I hear from her or try to contact someone else over there? I don't want to aggravate her by going around her. This is in the Omaha office.

Thanks!

Bonnie

My experience with the Omaha office over the holidays is that there is not much. I think they are all on a vacation. I would keep calling and note on your message that you desire a call back. I just had a call from one of the RAs this morning.

DougO

I've been working on an audit now for over two years concerning alimony. I filed a request for reconsideration and this case has been bounced from Atlanta to Memphis and now to Fresno (!!). I got a call from an IRS person in November saying that she is taking the cases in the order she receives them and will call me when she starts working on the case.

To top it off, the client is a nervous nellie. Don't you wish you were me?

No thanks! I still haven't heard anything back. I've left three messages and a fax. I don't know how much more they expect when their own employees don't answer their calls. Their organization is pretty messed up. I started a state audit in August and didn't hear anything back from the auditor until the last week of December. She had all of the information, but just didn't get around to it. Hopefully, we can get it finished this month.

Represented a client during an IRS Audit this past October. The address where the auditor was supposed to go to

was 517 Dove Street (office of the client). He showed up at 571 Dove Street, didn't get an answer at the door, and

left.

I sat with the client for 1.5 hours after the appointment time. We faxed the IRS Office in Columbus questioning why

the auditor never showed up.

I went back to my office, client called me about 2 hours later and told me what happened.

He showed up the next day at the correct address. Don't understand why this happened, since the auditor had the

correct address on the client paperwork.

No-change audit, BTW.