ATX Community

Using a Networked Setup and ZoneAlarm

Chowdahead

Is anyone here familiar with network setups? The reason I ask is because I have two workstations that work fine when I enable only the Windows Firewall on both machines.

However, I would like to use ZoneAlarm for the added security of preventing outbound unauthorized transmissions. The problem is that when ZoneAlarm is running on the Server (which also doubles as a workstation), the other PC cannot connect to the server because of ZoneAlarm. I get no ZoneAlarm alerts on the server. If I did I would just allow the connection.

I know there is something I have to do with the internet settings to place the second workstation within "the trusted zone" in the network. But I don't know how.

Last year, I just uninstalled ZoneAlarm completley because I couldn't figure it out. The built-in Windows firewall didn't seem to have a problem. Any thoughts?

"I'm about as computer challenged as they come." Me, too.

I had to add the "IP" address for my router to the "trusted zone" and that enabled my network. It beats the h**l out of me where I found this, but probably "googled"it or found out about at Zone Alarm's website. So, I would GUESS you would need to do the same with each computer. I found the "IP" address from a free program that tells you everything that is in your computer, memory, type of chip, software etc. Much more than I ever needed, but it had the "IP' address of my computers. It is called Belarc, but I don't know the website.

If you're not too tied to ZoneAlarm, there are other software firewalls out there that you might want to try and see if they work better for you.

I've had good luck with Comodo, which is free:

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I only choose to install the firewall portion, so I can't comment on the quality of the other applications in their Internet Security package.