ATX Community

NATP Membership

Out of curiosity, how much is the membership fee to join the NATP and do you have to be an EA or CPA to become a member? What are the benefits of being a member, other than the obvious? (ie). Being able to include that in your list of credentials, business card decoration, just being recognized as a member, meeting new people and etc.

Hi Kyle,

I belong to NATP, renewal membership fee was $132.00 this year.

I get a weekly newletter, as well as a monthly. It comes by regular mail as well as by email... so I always keep on the latest tax information. They keep me up on what's going on at the IRS with things like tax court cases, tax law changes, and possible licensing of tax preparers. No you don't have to be an EA or CPA... just someone interested in keeping up. Being a member you get notices of local seminars/ tax classes put on by NATP... Fee is discounted for being a member; but non-members are also welcome to attend.

NATP also has tax books, and tax office supplies available.

The NATP website is a great resource, the archives of tax articles are available as well as other tax tools available. Client Tax tips (brochures you can order to give to clients on various topics).

Lots of great stuff.

Pam

Taxtrio

IRS has a free teleforum on Wednesday re preparer penalties. One of the speakers is the lawyer who wrote the regulations.

Kyle, also consider NAEA. Good magazine and on-line resources and e@lerts in your e-mail, CPE for taking quiz with mag or on-line, message board; CtSEA (CtSEA used to be CSEA until CA got snippy!) is fantastic for live CPE and networking. If you're looking for a national group, also check that you like its local affiliate.