ATX Community

EIC

Marie

Haven't been here for a while, so if I ask something that has been discussed, send me to the topic. I did my first return with EIC today. Last year, I would add the form, and figuring started right away. This year when the form was added, it had the kids name on the form, but no EIC was added to the return. I stumbled around, finally filled out the EIC questions and the numbers appeared. This is different from last year? It used to put the numbers in and I would still answer the due diligence questions after I knew they got it. Anyone else having the same experience?

I am not a tax professional, but I can say this particular subject has not been discussed as of yet. ATX, as well as all other tax software, is tricky that way. Sometimes the simplest of calcs do not come through as they should. A simple refreshing of forms, or in your case, just filling out some questions gets it acting correctly. Hopefully someone else can be a little better in answering your question. But this has been my experience with the software.

On the top of the EIC questions in ATX it says something like "Due to request from the IRS Work Group the questions will not default to an answer" Something like that. The IRS want the preparer to actually do the "due dilligence" and not let the software automatically do it for us.

Taxtrio

But some of the questions I had actually answered in other places and the form was merely picking up those answers. I did not have a problem with it answering that the taxpayer and spouse had social security numbers, when I had entered social security numbers for them. I feel that my due diligence applies to the whole return, not just EIC.