ATX Community

Janitor Bob

Terry D EA

Hey Janitor Bob, I got a wierd Ohio local tax question. I transplanted from Ohio 13 years ago and have gone fuzzy on some of the local city returns. My daughter moved into Massillion in November and lived in Canton for the majority of 2008. She worked in North Canton and North Canton tax was withheld. When I complete the Massillion return, the program is giving her a full refund. Problem is, Massillion didn't get any tax payments to begin with and she didn't work in Massillion at all because she got layed off. I completed the North Canton return and was wondering if you could help with the Massillion return. I just can't see how Massillion would refund money they never collected. The instructions are as clear as mud.

Thanks in Advance

Terry D.

On the Massilon return, make sure you enter the "Moved into Massilon" info. List her employers and the name of the city where employed (i.e. North Canton) and list the taxes that were withheld for North Canton and taxes withheld for Massilon, then list total w-2 local wages.

Line 1 (Wages and salaries) should include all of her local wages from her W-2s

Line 2 is probably blank

Line 3 would list the amount of her total wages that were earned PRIOR to her moving into Massilon (i.e. divide total wages by 12 months then multiply by number of months she lived in Massilon)

Line 4 is probably blank

Line 5 is total of Line 1 minus Line 3

Line 6 is 1.8% of Line 5

Line 7a would be any taxes withheld for Massilon (zero per your post)

Line 7b would be that amount she paid in taxes to other cities (i.e. North Canton)...but only up to 1.8% of Line 5

Line 7c is probably zero

Line 7 is total of 7 a,b,c

If she had at least 1.8% withheld in taxes for other cities, then this return will be a wash with no refund and no amount due. If other cities such as North Canton withheld less then 1.8% then she will owe Massilon the difference between 1.8% of line 5 and the amount withheld on line 7b.

Make sure you note on the North Canton return that she moved out in November.....Next year at this time, she should only be filing a Massilon return (assuming she does not move again). Since Massilon allows credit for taxes paid to other cities (ip to 1.8%), as long as she is paying at least 1.8% to ANY city, she will not owe anything....but if she has more than 1.8% withheld she will not get a refund.

(Probably wishful thinking on my part)...what I'd like to see is that

we could e-file the various city returns. RITA allows you to prepare

their return on-line.

That wold be great...But I know many cities in this area well (having served 4 years on city council)...and all of them are at best 3-4 years away from offering on-line or electronic filing. I actually look for more and more cities to joing regional groups like RITA to reduce costs in their departments.

Check with the Ohio Business Gateway <http://business.ohio.gov/>. Some business returns and reports can be filed online. There is also a link to many municipalities that might provide information about online individual filing.

Here in Sidney, you cannot even pay utility bills or fines/fees on-line...and they have been working on that for at least two years.

Thanks JB, I had the information entered just as you stated. The Massillion form shows a refund for the same amount withheld from N. Canton which I know isn't correct. Am I still missing something?

Thanks,

Terry D.

On each return (Massilon & North Canton)...are you only entering the income earned while in that city?

If you have taxable income and income tax withheld on that income at the rate for that city, then there should be no refund and only an amount due if the tax withheld was withheld at less than the rate for that city.

If you are still hung up, you can always scan and e-mail me a copy of the W-2's in question and the dates she moved into/out of each city...I'd be happy to work on the city forms and e-mail them to you. My e-mail is [email protected] that is top secret, so kill anybody who reads it

JB,

I certainly am appreciative of your help and offer. I don't know what happened, (maybe tired and worn out), I updated my program and now the forms have the figures in the right places and the returns appear to be correct. Maybe, the little tax gremlins got into my computer and fixed things for me. Thanks again JB and I definitely owe you one.

Terry D.

JB,

I certainly am appreciative of your help and offer. I don't know what happened, (maybe tired and worn out), I updated my program and now the forms have the figures in the right places and the returns appear to be correct. Maybe, the little tax gremlins got into my computer and fixed things for me. Thanks again JB and I definitely owe you one.

Terry D.

No Problem...We are all in this together