ATX Community

Brand New Issue (For Me)

Booger

It is best to have a corrected W2 rather than making changes to it yourself. Have the client contact his/her employer to make the changes then proceed with e-filing the returns. Don't take it upon yourself to do that. That is to me compromising yourself and your business.

Have the corrected W-2 come directly from the source.

No, I was just going to use the corrected SS # on the W2 SCREEN that's in the program, NOT THE ACTUAL W2!!

Sorry if you misunderstood my question.

If you are filing electronically, I would think that there would be some point (either before or after acceptance of the e-file) where the W-2 information from the return you sent (with corrected SSN) does not match what the IRS has (what employer entered and sent to IRS on copy A of the W-2).

I would think this would cause problem....just not sure when in the process it would become an issue.

I had this 2 years ago and completed the taxpayer's return as if the SS# was theirs.....meaning I didn't change anything in the W-2 input form. I then told them to have the employer issue a corrected W-2. The employer must have done that since we didn't receive a tax notice.

Julie

In my case, same as post, the return kept getting rejected after the employer insisted it had been corrected. The client made them send her a copy of the corrected w-2 and guess what, they never changed it. Two days after electronically corrected, the return went through.

I had this 2 years ago and completed the taxpayer's return as if the SS# was theirs.....meaning I didn't change anything in the W-2 input form. I then told them to have the employer issue a corrected W-2. The employer must have done that since we didn't receive a tax notice.

Julie

Julie, did you use the correct SS# on the 1040, and left the incorrect one on the W2 input form?

Or did you use the incorrect SS# on the 1040? Please advise.