ATX Community

1040 Line 21

Slippery Pencil

Welcome back. We haven't seen you in awhile.

I think it was the same programmer who decided to add extra clicks to Schedules C&F under the section of other deductions.

taxbilly

Or the same programmer who continues to leave in the print function, that darn little box that warns me that ATX's pdf printer is better than mine. That little box causes me one more click for every return. Has anyone figured out how to get rid of that little box?

Maribeth

Or the same programmer who continues to leave in the print function, that darn little box that warns me that ATX's pdf printer is better than mine. That little box causes me one more click for every return. Has anyone figured out how to get rid of that little box?

Maribeth

A shaped charge may be tempting, but is unlikely to work the way you want it to. ^_^

Catherine

Why won't the program allow me to put a description in Line 21 for other income? ATX said their users requested that this field be made so it couldn't be overridden. What type of idiot preparer would want us not to be able to override fields?

Actually, Dave, I think it was the IRS that wanted us to use the worksheet rather than just type in the info. I agree, when there is only one item, it is often easier to just type it in, but I think when efiling, the IRS looks to the worksheet link, and does not want to have to read the line. At least that is my guess.

PS, we're glad to have you join us here.

From the email I received today, printed below, it looks like they are going to change it and even improve it over last year.

Regarding the pdf print box, I've called and complained every year on that. There is no option to remove the box. I've also submitted it through the suggestion box every year. I called again this year about a month ago. I was yelling and screaming by the end of the call. She said I would get an email about it and that she was very interested in why the box couldn't be removed and was going to put in a suggestion herself so she could get feedback on it. A month later I still haven't heard back. I imagine if enough people yelled & screamed they might put a check box in the alert to not show it again.

Dave,

We are working on allowing an override on line 21. We also will bring to line 21 the description from the line 21 worksheet if only one entry is made.

This release will be out in a few days.

Thanks for taking the time to send us your suggestion.

Karen Hall

ATX Tax Manager

That is great news. I've always been bugged that when there is only one item, they still print out the schedule, instead of just printing that one item on the line.

As for the pdf print thing, it bugs me too, but I've gotten used to it, I guess. I do use their pdf print option to print to the Document Manager, but still use the pdf factory printer for most other pdf printing.