ATX Community

Tax Preparer Training

MJG CPA

Can anyone recommend a good training program for new tax preparers with no formal prior training?

Mary,

If there is a local community college or university near you, they sometimes offer tax classes in noncredit classes. Most of the time these types of classes start in September or October to have the people ready for when the next tax-filing season begins in January. If you don't have any of this kind of class nearby, many H & R Block or Jackson Hewitt offices have such beginning classes as Pacun has already told you.

Wayne

As much as I don't care for HRB, you have to give them credit for their classes. They do an excelent job on the basic course. It seemed to me that the intermediate classes were not so good and the advanced courses were very good. (my wife worked for them for 6 years and took lots of their classes). If I were to hire a new employee without any experience, I would send them to HRB.

Tom

Lodi, CA

HRB has about 110 courses online, also, mostly by CCH. Their Basic course is now Basic Building Blocks; B3 is in four or so parts (don't think it's available online, but not sure). The next step, Everyone's Return is also in about four parts, both in the classroom and online. However, HRB will stop using ATX for business returns and use their newly purchased TaxWorks. HRB has a classroom course on TaxWorks 2006 now and will have a 2007 course by year end.