ATX Community

Russell Research - IRS Survey

jasdlm

I received a phone message from 'Debbie' at Russell Research. She told my assistant that she was hired by the IRS to do a survey of 'how they were doing' and wanted to talk with me. I am a small-time preparer. She knew, according to my assistant, that I was a 'she', even though I have a masculine first name and most people who don't know assume I am male.

I tried to google Russell Research, but their website keeps locking up my computer.

Any thoughts? Is this on the 'up and up'. Does the IRS really care how a very small preparer thinks it is doing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW . . . if she is really working for the IRS, why is she calling me during tax season???

I received a phone message from 'Debbie' at Russell Research. She told my assistant that she was hired by the IRS to do a survey of 'how they were doing' and wanted to talk with me. I am a small-time preparer. She knew, according to my assistant, that I was a 'she', even though I have a masculine first name and most people who don't know assume I am male.

I tried to google Russell Research, but their website keeps locking up my computer.

Any thoughts? Is this on the 'up and up'. Does the IRS really care how a very small preparer thinks it is doing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW . . . if she is really working for the IRS, why is she calling me during tax season???

1775 Broadway | Suite 630 | NYC 10019 | 212.246.4343 | Fax: 212.246.4489

Founded in 1946, Russell Research is one of the pioneer firms in the market research industry. Over the years, that pioneering spirit has kept Russell Research at the forefront of development and use of new research techniques and technologies.

Today, Russell Research is among the industry's top custom research firms, with a seasoned staff of 100+ strategy-driven research professionals. We provide expertise and service for a wide range of consumer and business product categories and a diverse group of clients - including Fortune 1000 companies as well as mid-size and smaller enterprises, government agencies, advertising agencies, consultancies and public relations firms.

Russell Research's approach to the marketing process is to partner with clients to select the most appropriate and cost-efficient research techniques. Russell Research's integration of information with other available data and quick research turnaround provide actionable, strategic guidance that's vital in today's fast-paced business environment.

Russell Marketing Research… taking information further, faster.

I did read somewhere, the IRS was going to survey x amount of tax preparers and that they hired a private research company. But, that is all I can remember.

I did find this on the webIRS plans annual tax preparer survey

IRS plans annual tax preparer survey

The IRS will conduct its annual survey of tax preparers beginning in early November.

The IRS’s Small Business Self-Employed Division (SBSE) is gathering feedback on the preparers’ experiences with federal tax return filings, as well as dealing with the IRS on behalf of their clients.

Pacific Market Research is conducting the phone survey for the IRS from November 2008 to January 2009. Randomly selected CPAs, attorneys, enrolled agents and unenrolled return preparers will receive a pre-letter from Pacific Market Research and a letter from IRS SBSE Commissioner Chris Wagner with complete details and a contact point.

The 18-25-minute survey is voluntary and all responses will remain confidential.

Well one reason to do it that way is because a lot of tax offices close down after April and it's impossible to get in contact with them. Kind of removes a lot of the point in paying someone to preparer your taxes when you can't call them up to ask if it's a smart idea to pull $50k out of your 401k for buying a home or other tax questions. Then again, I guess for some it's about the tax prep and nothing more.

I'd be careful with the survey. Obviously you can't talk about specific situations with clients. Other than basic things like "How is the efiling this year?" "How were the hold times calling the IRS?" I don't see what more they can get.

I received a voicemail from them about two weeks ago asking my husband, by correct first and last name, how his experience with e-services had been. He has never prepared a tax return in his life and certainly never signed up for e-services. That told me they were telemarketers of some sort and I didn't respond.