ATX Community

Fed W/H on SocSec, etc - Paper Filed Return

JohnH

So what do you paper-filing neanderthals (like myself) do when there is Fed withholding showing on the SSA-1099 or on a 1099-Int, 1099-Div, etc? Do you attach a copy to the return? The 1040 instructions are unclear on this matter. They say attach W-2G or 1099-R if there's withholding, but they simply say to enter the withholding amount from SSA-1099 and other 1099's (other than 1099-R) on Line 62, without any instruction to attach copies.

Not trusting that the sytem works as it should, I always photocopy the other forms and attach a copy to the return, but this probably isn't necessary. It also violates my basic rule of not giving the IRS anything they don't specifically require. I'd like to know what others in this situation do and if I'm just being my normal obsessive compulsive self in this situation without good reason.

I tried e-filing on a test basis back when it was first introduced, but I never could figure out how to use a yellow highlighter on those electrons, so I gave up on it for that reason alone. Besides, you should have seen my monitor after a half-dozen returns; between the yellow streaks and the whiteout - what a mess!

Be careful with that highlighter... just underline the figure with the highlighter... If you completely highlight the amount and they scan the document into their records (as the state of Michigan does) then is show up on their system as BLACK! Michigan says NEVER highlight documents we send to them and never put post-it notes on the forms (They don't remove the post-it's when they scan them thru, and it just covers up part of the document!

I agree highlighting can be great, but be careful how you do it.

Taxtrio