ATX Community

1040 X

Sbrock

Well, the IRS hates for us to file 'current year' amendments this early, so they don't usually process them very fast anyway. I'd be inclined to wait. But, if you don't want to wait, go ahead and amend in this year, print out the draft, program and any pages that need to go with it. Then, in the O7 program, open a 1040X form, fill it out with the numbers on that draft form, and attach the pages as needed, and you are good to go.

I am waiting also (see my post from yesterday). The IRS posted 1040X on their website on 2/21, so I would expect ATX to have it any day now. In the past (the good ol days) they were pretty fast at getting the forms out. Now that CCH and Taxwise get their forms first, it seems like we are waiting a little longer.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Well, the IRS hates for us to file 'current year' amendments this early, so they don't usually process them very fast anyway. I'd be inclined to wait. But, if you don't want to wait, go ahead and amend in this year, print out the draft, program and any pages that need to go with it. Then, in the O7 program, open a 1040X form, fill it out with the numbers on that draft form, and attach the pages as needed, and you are good to go.

I did the same as KC except I used the form off of the IRS website.

Eli

TaxWise must have an insider person at the IRS, I filed a 1040X last week in (TRX) TaxWise

Seems like I looked and found it on the IRS website back in January. The latest revision is February, but I have no idea how to tell what the last revision is. You can have multiple revisions in one year, so it's possible TaxWise had the 2008 "version 1" from IRS while ATX for some reason was waiting for IRS "version 2" or "version 3" for 2008 or ... who knows? I wish there was a way to see the prior revision of a form on the IRS website. You can look at prior years, but when forms are modified like W-7 you don't really have anyway to see what the prior revision was in order to determine what they changed.

I did the same as KC except I used the form off of the IRS website.

Eli

I actually filed one several weeks ago using the Draft form. The numbers populated correctly.; so does the IRS really care as long as it is correct and they get their money? This person had filed her own and took her 20 year old son who made over $20,000 as a dependent. This prevented him from filing. She had to amend. I was able to file WI electronically and Fed paper as, of course, his rejected. Fed check did clear her account quite soon after filing the amendment.

I emailed support at ATX yesterday and I have posted their reply -

"I apologize for the delay. Once the IRS releases and approved the final copy of the 1040X, our developers will get it implemented into the program. Unfortunately I do not have a date at this time as to when it will be ready. As soon as we have the date, we will post this information on the myatx website. If I could assist you further, please reply back to this email and I will be happy to assist you further."

I think KC has the right idea the IRS wants us to wait until further into filing season. I have several clients that filed at their normal time, but had late arriving 1099s from banks and brokage houses because the IRS gave the the banks an extension to February 15th.

My plan is to use the 2007 program if the 2008 form 1040X is not approved by the 15th of March.

Good luck,

Peggy Cobb

Mount Vernon, WA

I emailed support at ATX yesterday and I have posted their reply -

"I apologize for the delay. Once the IRS releases and approved the final copy of the 1040X, our developers will get it implemented into the program.

Scares me.

The IRS posted 1040X on their website on 2/21

Per the tech response it should have been released already. At any rate it's out now. Focus to the future and not the past. :)