ATX Community

eic, death

grandmabee

taxpayer usually files HH and get EIC. this year taxpayer was killed in an accident 06/18/08. After child was released from hospital went to live with other parent.

Am I correct in assuming that cannot file HH, EIC, or claim dependent because was not half the year.

If anyone knows of any exceptions please let me know.

taxpayer usually files HH and get EIC. this year taxpayer was killed in an accident 06/18/08. After child was released from hospital went to live with other parent.

Am I correct in assuming that cannot file HH, EIC, or claim dependent because was not half the year.

If anyone knows of any exceptions please let me know.

I think he/she would qualify. July thru December is 6 months. + from June 19 to the end of the month makes it 6+ months or more then 6 months. This of course if he/she meets the other dependency rules.

Eli

I think what Eli is saying is that the living parent would qualify for possible EIC but not the deceased parent. The deceased parent would be filed single.

taxbilly

Yes, Taxbilly I was. Sorry misread the question.

Eli

She said "I was hoping there was some obscure thing." That was what I was reacting to.

And given the nature of dependency and HOH, etc, you can not give it to one parent without taking it from the other. I did not mean it in a mean way, but I did wonder at her way of phrasing it.