ATX Community

Exceptions to IRA distributions

cathyan

I thought I read somewhere that there is an exception to the penalty on early IRA distributions if if a homeowner was facing foreclosure.

I can't find anything on it, so did I really read that? Or was it only proposed? Or was I dreaming?

Any help appreciated!

I thought I read somewhere that there is an exception to the penalty on early IRA distributions if if a homeowner was facing foreclosure.

I can't find anything on it, so did I really read that? Or was it only proposed? Or was I dreaming?

Any help appreciated!

Possibly you read that a withdrawal can be made from a 401(k) if a homeowner was facing foreclosure? That's one of the few technical reasons an active employee can make a withdrawal.

Possibly you read that a withdrawal can be made from a 401(k) if a homeowner was facing foreclosure? That's one of the few technical reasons an active employee can make a withdrawal.

How would I account for that, I have client that took out 25K to avoid foreclosure "dire situation" on his home?

joanmcq is correct. Taxable with penalty if no other exception applies. What I stated was merely an example of a reason a company can use to let an employee make an early withdrawal from a 401k.

RC....I have been known to answer myself a time or two...but normally not until April. :spaz: