ATX Community

Amending from HoH to MFJ

Eli

A while back (maybe a year or two) Jainen wrote a really easy detail on how to amend this. Is there a way to search for that post? I believe it was still under the ld ATX forum. He made it so easy even I could understand it lol.

Thanks!!

Eli

If you did NOT prepare either return, neither is in your software: prepare the return as it should be. Then call up the X forms, letting the new information go to column C and type in the primary taxpayers OLD info in column A. Your software should calculate column B, but proof it for reasonableness knowing it's adding the spouse's OLD info with some minor adjustments for the different tax tables, etc.

Sometimes, you just can't duplicate in your software the original return due to their errors or rounding differences or whatever, so don't even waste your time. Just type in the taxpayer's software results in your X column A.

If you DID prepare one or both returns, at least one is already in your software: call up one return. Then call up the X forms, NOT letting the OLD info go to column C, keeping it on column A only. Then re-prepare the return the way it should be done including the spouse's info. Now, your re-done return info is in column C and your software calculated column B.

If you did NOT prepare either return, neither is in your software: prepare the return as it should be. Then call up the X forms, letting the new information go to column C and type in the primary taxpayers OLD info in column A. Your software should calculate column B, but proof it for reasonableness knowing it's adding the spouse's OLD info with some minor adjustments for the different tax tables, etc.

Sometimes, you just can't duplicate in your software the original return due to their errors or rounding differences or whatever, so don't even waste your time. Just type in the taxpayer's software results in your X column A.

If you DID prepare one or both returns, at least one is already in your software: call up one return. Then call up the X forms, NOT letting the OLD info go to column C, keeping it on column A only. Then re-prepare the return the way it should be done including the spouse's info. Now, your re-done return info is in column C and your software calculated column B.

Thanks, Lion!!

If husband is in your system from prior year, pro forma him to 2008 and prepare him MFJ. Then, call up the X, switch their names/SSNs, and type in her info from her original HOH return in column A. I'm having you switch the primary taxpayer and the spouse to get the one that's being amended listed as primary. However, you might want to research whether that's necessary. Maybe it's OK to have the one who's being amended as spouse; OK to file as primary taxpayer on an amendment the one who has NOT filed yet. Probably so, and then you save the hassle of switching names/numbers in your system.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

If husband is in your system from prior year, pro forma him to 2008 and prepare him MFJ. Then, call up the X, switch their names/SSNs, and type in her info from her original HOH return in column A. I'm having you switch the primary taxpayer and the spouse to get the one that's being amended listed as primary. However, you might want to research whether that's necessary. Maybe it's OK to have the one who's being amended as spouse; OK to file as primary taxpayer on an amendment the one who has NOT filed yet. Probably so, and then you save the hassle of switching names/numbers in your system.

I did this same thing last year. Wife filed seperate, husband had not filed. Husband was my NEW client. I put her first on the return him second. We started getting letters from IRS that he never filed. A few phone calls straighted everything out. Even with the additional calls it was the easiest way to file.

Linda and buddy