ATX Community

Investment Fee

clay

Client's has her own business - Sch C.

No W-2 income.

Has a SIMPLE plan through a broker who charged $2000 to manage the account. Not sure if other non-IRA funds are in the account.

Investment fees are reported on Sch A, but the client takes the standard deduction so the deduction for the fee is "lost".

Can anyone tell me if there is any possibility of claiming investment fees on Sch C for that portion that is for the SIMPLE plan?

I saw something in the Pubs about being able to claim a "fiduciary" fee.

Even if you itemize, I think the investment mgt fees are nondeductible if paid directly out of the tax-deferred account. Client would need to request from the account manager to have the fees paid outside of the investment account. And even then, I don't think there is any way you can legitimize a Sch C deduction for an owner's personal account. If owner had a qualified retirement plan for employees with pooled assets (ie not a SIMPLE), then mgt fees would be deductible on Sch C.

I think even if owner has SIMPLE, if managment fees for all employees eligible are paid by the business and not out of the accounts, they should be deductible. However, $2000 seems a bit excessive for a fiduciary fee. That seems to be more of an investment management fee. The fiduciary fees for SIMPLEs using mutual funds tend to run around $35 per year here.