ATX Community

Efile Hold Status

Terry D EA

This was kinda scary and I don't know if I did something wrong. I had an e-file that was created and I selected it to be held. The client called to inform me there was additional information coming which is why I held the file. While transmitting other returns, the return I had held got transmitted and fortunately rejected. Why did this happen? Is this a poor feature or am I using it incorrectly? I have used ATX for 10 years now and have never used this feature until now. Help please.

Terry D. :scratch_head:

I have used this feature for several years and I have never had a return held transmit. The only thing I can think of is that you reopened the return at some point, recreated the e-file and did not hold it. Each time the return is opened and recreated you have to put a hold on it or is shows up as created and will transmit.

Hope this helps some,

Deb!

After the e-files are selected and you press transmit, another screen appears with just the selected returns and you have to press transmit again before actually sending them. I cross-check that last screen to my 8879s before initiating the transmission. This has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I have used this feature for several years and I have never had a return held transmit. The only thing I can think of is that you reopened the return at some point, recreated the e-file and did not hold it. Each time the return is opened and recreated you have to put a hold on it or is shows up as created and will transmit.

Hope this helps some,

Deb!

This was kinda scary and I don't know if I did something wrong. I had an e-file that was created and I selected it to be held. The client called to inform me there was additional information coming which is why I held the file. While transmitting other returns, the return I had held got transmitted and fortunately rejected. Why did this happen? Is this a poor feature or am I using it incorrectly? I have used ATX for 10 years now and have never used this feature until now. Help please.

Terry D. :scratch_head:

Terry,

Are you sure it actually was transmitted, or are you assuming that because it shows rejected that it was sent? As a built in safety, each time you open the return after the e-file has been created you have to re-create the e-file or it will show up as rejected. This is so to prevent you from changing the return but not recreating the e-file with the change. Sometimes it's a bother, but usually it is a life saver.

Deb!

Terry, I bet Deb is right, and that is what happened. If you open a return and change anything, but do not re-create the efile, the status changes to 'rejected' automatically. Meaning that ATX rejected it, not the IRS. Even just printing something causes the program to do this, which is a bit irritating, but it does eliminate the possibility of sending an efile where we changed something in the return but forgot to 'create' a new efile file before sending it.

Thanks for the help. I'll bet that is exactly what I have done. I didn't change anything but I do remember re-opening the return to answer some questions for this guy's broker.

Terry D.

That is what happened....If you have updated the ATX program and you then open a return....even if you do not change anything., it will cause the e-file status to change to rejected......it was never transmitted.