ATX Community

MA Reject Code 0892

Lion EA

Any suggestions re MA reject code 0892: The Schedule E Reconciliation is required for this return. It also references MA form Sch ES. This is a CT resident who worked in NY but spent some time in same company's MA office during 2008, so filing MA NR for the first time for this client. Looking on the MA site, it appears that MA Schedule E is the counterpart to federal E. However, this client has no rentals, nor pass-through entities, nor anything else that required a federal Sch E. Same with federal ES; all his taxes were well paid with withholding and not ES payments. He has W-2s, interest & dividends, a few stock trades, itemized deductions, and AMT. He also has CT, NY, and MA returns. Any suggestions for me? This client may have an indefinite assignment to MA during 2009, so I better learn how to handle his return!

Any suggestions re MA reject code 0892: The Schedule E Reconciliation is required for this return. It also references MA form Sch ES. This is a CT resident who worked in NY but spent some time in same company's MA office during 2008, so filing MA NR for the first time for this client. Looking on the MA site, it appears that MA Schedule E is the counterpart to federal E. However, this client has no rentals, nor pass-through entities, nor anything else that required a federal Sch E. Same with federal ES; all his taxes were well paid with withholding and not ES payments. He has W-2s, interest & dividends, a few stock trades, itemized deductions, and AMT. He also has CT, NY, and MA returns. Any suggestions for me? This client may have an indefinite assignment to MA during 2009, so I better learn how to handle his return!

This all sounds completely bizarre to me. I will recommend double-checking the MA return for any Schedule E or E-1 that may be there blank, and getting rid of them. Ditto the Form 1-ES, plus the spot in the Federal return that indicates state estimated tax payments. Go to those fields and delete the date and amount areas. Even a "space" in the field registers as an entry (you just can't see it!). If none of that works, you could try duplicating the return and creating the efile from the duplicate (ATX support had me do that once last year on another type of problem).

If all else fails, mail the thing in. And don't forget to do gnashing of teeth and growling noises when you print; this assures the paper file goes smoothly. ;)

Good luck!

Catherine

Thank you, Catherine. I had not tried the gnashing of teeth and growling noises when I print. It's certainly worth a try. CCH tells me there was something widespread, didn't admit whether with them or with MA, with MA looking for Schedules E and ES in NR returns and rejecting them if missing. So, the update will be out before Saturday morning. Then I can recalculate and e-file MA alone and maybe add the gnashing and growling to see if that also assures the e-filing goes smoothly. Hope I still understand my notes by Saturday! Thanks again.

didn't admit whether with them or with MA, with MA looking for Schedules E and ES in NR returns and rejecting them if missing.

Usually two reasons support will do this, 1) it's their product or 2) they don't know if it's their product.

If it really is widespread, you should see other people having the same problems on non-software-specific forums. For example, the $8,000 first time homebuyer issue is well documented at taxalmanac as affecting pretty much all software. So you would expect to see others complaining or be able to make an inquiry on one of those forums for people using other software. (One reason I check multiple forums.)

The MA ES referred to in the error description is the MA Sch E Summary. MA calls it an ES even though everyone else in the tax world knows an ES has something to do with estimated payments.

I was wondering what the ES was; the estimateds for MA are 1-ES; never noticed the Sch E Summary (although I'm sure I've been there).

As to comments above on whether it's the software or other -- last year ATX had the most horrid problem with MA extensions. Once you filed the extension, it coded that extension as the _return_ and then you couldn't e-file the return. It hit _so_ many of my clients and it wasn't until the second-to-last that they came up with a work-around that they told me. (Which was the duplicate the return trick I mentioned earlier.) They also took a _very_ long time to admit it was their fault and not MA.

Catherine

At least support knew immediately what the problem was. And, knew the update would be Saturday. So, maybe they know it was them. I was just glad it wasn't me! It was bizarre that the return was rejected for no Schedule E/ES when no Schedule E is in the federal.

ProSystem fx admits the problem and releases the solution tonight (subtitled I'm Not Crazy After All):

An issue has been identified on Release 2008.03020 that affects Massachusetts Individual electronic filing, causing REJ 0892.

Release 2008.03021 will be posted on Thursday, March 26th after 10:00 PM CDT to address this rejection. Those electronically filed returns receiving REJ 0892 should be recalculated and resubmitted for transmission using Release 2008.03021.

Returns transmitted on prior releases, or those that have been accepted are not impacted.

Sincerely,

CCH, a Wolters Kluwer business