ATX Community

Tax on taxable income ?

cientax

Have the tax rates on taxable income changed? I prepared a return on two different computers at different dates with taxable lincome being the same however there is a $60 dollar differnece in the tax. The taxable income is $2798. On one return the tax is $279 and on the other return the tax is $219. Can someone confirm which amount is correct please. I can't find anything on any changes. thanks.

are both returns identical?

maybe you missed something on one of the returns - like qualified divs that are taxed at a lower rate, even though the taxable income on both returns is the same?

Or, it's 2006, and that $%^& phone credit is not checked on one... Just kidding.

Was that 2006? Time flies whether you're having fun or not...

Have the tax rates on taxable income changed? I prepared a return on two different computers at different dates with taxable income being the same however there is a $60 dollar difference in the tax. The taxable income is $2798. On one return the tax is $279 and on the other return the tax is $219. Can someone confirm which amount is correct please. I can't find anything on any changes. thanks.

If the taxable income of $2798 were all ordinary income not subject to any special rates, then the tax would be $279 (10%). This is for any filing status, standard or itemized deductions, any number of exemptions, etc.

Does the return with the $219 tax include $600 of qualified dividends or long-term capital gains?

If the taxable income of $2798 were all ordinary income not subject to any special rates, then the tax would be $279 (10%). This is for any filing status, standard or itemized deductions, any number of exemptions, etc.

Does the return with the $219 tax include $600 of qualified dividends or long-term capital gains?

I think both returns are for the same taxpayer(s) just came out not agreeing with each other, which really is weird, and I got nothing besides what others have said.

cientax - let us know what happened, this is killing me.