ATX Community

Pension income & EIC

Eli

In 2007 taxpayer received taxable pension income of $3853.00. She was due a a refund of $4130 including 4010 of EIC. The EIC was given from $10000 of earned income. IRS has disallowed the EIC due to the pension income. She has received this pesnison since 1998 & had not had a problem before. Does this sound right?

Thanks

ELi

In 2007 taxpayer received taxable pension income of $3853.00. She was due a a refund of $4130 including 4010 of EIC. The EIC was given from $10000 of earned income. IRS has disallowed the EIC due to the pension income. She has received this pesnison since 1998 & had not had a problem before. Does this sound right?

Thanks

ELi

Doesn't make sense. Pension income isn't investment income, so that wouldn't do it. It could cause them to lose EIC if the pension income pushed them past the AGI limit. Age obviously isn't an issue, with $4010 of EIC they have to have a qualifying child. Does the letter from the IRS actually say it's because of the pension income, or is that what the taxpayer says?

Doesn't make sense. Pension income isn't investment income, so that wouldn't do it. It could cause them to lose EIC if the pension income pushed them past the AGI limit. Age obviously isn't an issue, with $4010 of EIC they have to have a qualifying child. Does the letter from the IRS actually say it's because of the pension income, or is that what the taxpayer says?

David, thanks for your reply. I just spoke to the IRS help desk about the letter she recieved & the IRS lady said it was due to line 12a (pensions & annuities). It didnt make sense to me either.

Thanks again.

Eli

(2) EARNED INCOME. For purposes of this section, earned income is

computed without regard to any community property laws which may

otherwise be applicable. Earned income is reduced by any net loss in

earnings from self-employment. Earned income does not include amounts

received as a pension, an annuity, unemployment compensation, or

workmen's compensation, or an amount to which section 871(a) and the

regulations thereunder apply (relating to income of nonresident alien

individuals not connected with United States business).

Reg 1.32-2

(2) EARNED INCOME. For purposes of this section, earned income is

computed without regard to any community property laws which may

otherwise be applicable. Earned income is reduced by any net loss in

earnings from self-employment. Earned income does not include amounts

received as a pension, an annuity, unemployment compensation, or

workmen's compensation, or an amount to which section 871(a) and the

regulations thereunder apply (relating to income of nonresident alien

individuals not connected with United States business).

Reg 1.32-2

Well it's not earned income, but the pension was only $3853 and the EIC was based on $10,000 of earned income. Even if the preparer did include the pension as earned income (I doubt it) when calculating EIC, there would still be another $6,000 of earned income for EIC. So I still do not see how the presence of $3,853 of pension income would disqualify the taxpayer from EIC.

Eli,

If you can give us all of the facts we may be able to solve the mystery. Pension income, for example, is considered earned income if it's due to disability (code 3, box 7) AND the taxpayer is below minimum retirement age (there is a box to check there).

taxbilly

Not at the home office now, but The figures as I remember are: 10000 earned income, plus 3853 of pension income, 2 kids (eic qualified)

Eli

Thanks

ELi

Eli,

Don't let it bother you at the moment.....get the client to come in to your office to verify to IRS that you can talk to them over the phone. Of course a POA will work also, but having the client in your office will be much quicker.

I have NEVER seen so many letters from IRS issued in COMPLETE error as letters received by some of my clients this year. It sounds like whoever looked at the return didn't know their a_ _ from a hole in the ground. Sorry, but it has just been SO frustrating this year....

Cathy