ATX Community

NT: Match photo

Catherine

Hi all --

There was interest a while ago in my shooting competition. So posted here is a photo from May 2nd, our 2nd rifle match (this morning's was the last). If you look carefully, towards the right, you'll see tiny little rectangles -- those are the targets, 200 yards away. Our team was going for #7 that day; it's the last one that can be seen on the right. The black center actually measures 13" across. In the sights, it looks like a pindot. My husband bought me my beautiful purple rifle for my birthday a couple of years ago; I hope someday to shoot it as well as it deserves.

Hi all --

There was interest a while ago in my shooting competition. So posted here is a photo from May 2nd, our 2nd rifle match (this morning's was the last). If you look carefully, towards the right, you'll see tiny little rectangles -- those are the targets, 200 yards away. Our team was going for #7 that day; it's the last one that can be seen on the right. The black center actually measures 13" across. In the sights, it looks like a pindot. My husband bought me my beautiful purple rifle for my birthday a couple of years ago; I hope someday to shoot it as well as it deserves.

What are the rules of the competition? What are the details on that rifle?

What are the rules of the competition? What are the details on that rifle?

Two sighter shots, then 20 more for record. All standing ("offhand" is the term used).

The team is six people, and the course is fired over 2 hours and 18 minutes. Two people take turns at each numbered target; shooter on the right, then shooter on the left -- so there are three sets of two. We each take a turn shooting, coaching (keeping track of our teammates progress and helping with sight corrections if needed), and scoring (official tracking for another team).

Gwen (and Fiona, back when she was younger) scores targets int he target pits. Those are concrete bunkers, and the targets are run up on frames to where you can see them. Watch for the dirt puff behind your target, pull it down, put a spotter (for the scorers and coaches) in the shot hole. Put a paster (adhesive sticker) over the old hole. Hang an orange disk in the spot indicating the score (X, 10, 9, etc), and run the target back up. Repeat 131 times.

Rifle is a White Oak "Space gun", .223 caliber.

More details later -- they're calling me to go out for ice cream. First things first! ;)

OK; I'm back -- and the ice cream was great. I believe the rifle is based on an AR-15 but am not sure; my husband is the local expert. It's a semi-automatic but we only fire single shot in matches. It has match-grade sights and isn't eligible for CMP matches because of all the changes made to sights etc. My rifle was made to fit me, with a shorter barrel and stock than is "standard". I believe it comes with sets of weights for both stock and barrel, so you can configure it to the weight and balance you want for maximum stability.

Catherine

Do you get extra points for purple?! I bet you don't have any trouble collecting from your clients with a rifle hanging on the wall over your desk.

No extra points for purple, and it doesn't hang over my desk, despite how pretty it is. When we're not at the range, it lives locked in its' case.

How neat, a 'feminine' semi-automatic rifle. Cool.

My husband's is bright blue. At yesterday's match, when I brought mine out to the line, a guy from another team said, "Oh look -- it's the Easter Egg guns!"

So someday maybe we'll get two more -- a bright green and a bright orange, for Fiona and Gwen. And all go to matches together! :P