ATX Community

E-mailing tax returns

Joel

I recently had need to send copies of 3 years of tax returns for a client of mine. Because of the number of pages involved I thought it easier to send pdf copies of the returns. In discussion with the person to whom I was to send the returns he advised me that state law (New Jersey) does not allow the receipt of tax returns by e-mail. I decided to make a disk and send that to them, so my problem is solved. The question I have is that I remember the discussion of using pdf copies of tax returns on this site. I remember that someone had used encryption to send their returns and if they had ever run into this problem with New Jersey? Also would be interested in the encryption program used for future use.

We use ArkWorks software as a file management software, and it includes an encryption program to allow us to send the files from the pdf copy in ArkWorks through email and set a password for the recipient that we provide separately. I am curious to know more about the NJ law your client referred to, however, so I hope someone from NJ posts in response to this.

Most PDF software will allow you to password protect / secure your file.

A few years ago ATX bundled PDF Factory with the software and it (I believe, I bought the Pro version) will also allow you to add a password to the file.

If that is not sufficient, you can use a compression / Zip software (many free ones out there) that will also allow you to encrypt your files.

Most PDF software will allow you to password protect / secure your file.

A few years ago ATX bundled PDF Factory with the software and it (I believe, I bought the Pro version) will also allow you to add a password to the file.

If that is not sufficient, you can use a compression / Zip software (many free ones out there) that will also allow you to encrypt your files.

We use a secure site called CPASecure. We upload the pdf file to the site; the client then downloads the file. No email is used; the client has their own folder and password in order to access the file.

We've used this for a couple of years now. I absolutely love it.

Maribeth

My web site has a FileShare button. My clients choose their own passwords which I do NOT know. I can leave a file for only them to see; they can leave files for only me. (I can also leave files for all my clients to see, such as our Engagement Letter, but that's another topic. Clients can NOT leave files for anyone else but me.) I have to accept the client as a user of this feature of my web site.