ATX Community

General - First Time Home Buyer's Credit

"A tax credit of up to $8,000 is available for qualified first-time home buyers purchasing a principal residence on or after January 1, 2009 and before December 1, 2009." As of NOW, the credit is only for 2009 and escrow has to close before 12/01/2009. Who knows what they will offer next year.

JRS is correct...for 2008 it was a $7500 no-interest "loan" that has to be paid back over 15 years. This year it is the $8000 credit, BUT there is a lot of criteria to follow as to eligibility. In regard to anything, I always tell my clients, "That is the law this year. Who knows what it will be next year!"

I also went to the IRS web site and printed everything relative to the Recovery and Reinvestment act. Also have a "Special Report" from CCH; but don't remember where I got it. All of these pages have been referred to over and over as clients as well as other preparers, call with questions. So many people are also asking about the credits for Energy Efficient Improvements to Existing Homes. All of those who purchased new furnaces last year with the idea that they would get a credit as well as the new furnace they needed, are kicking themselves. Just more proof that one never knows what the Government will do from one year to the next.