ATX Community

backing up returns

wendybooth

I have backed up all my returns each time I shut down the program. I am now wanting to back up all the returns to a different location and can not for the life of me figure out how to do that. I want to backup to separate hard drive and to a thumb drive. We are thinking of getting a new pc this year. Any help would be appreciated.

When you select Backup, you have the option to change where the backup files are stored. Just click on the 'Browse' button to find the drive you want. Choosing the flash drive as your destination will cause it to backup to that drive. Just create an ATX BKUP folder on the drive first, and then select that folder as the destination. Same thing with any other external drive.

I have backed up all my returns each time I shut down the program. I am now wanting to back up all the returns to a different location and can not for the life of me figure out how to do that. I want to backup to separate hard drive and to a thumb drive. We are thinking of getting a new pc this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't you just use the Explore directory? Under Program Files, ATX2008, Backup subfile. Copy it to the location you want on your hard drive or flash drive.

Or you can just "export" returns from the return manager menu. Export marked returns to memory stick; then take memory stick to the other computer and "import" returns.

taxtrio

That is the method I use; generally because I use two different computers at two different locations. Just always have to make sure to have the latest update for the program and forms on both computers.

One other suggestion.

Drill down in "My Computer" to the ATX 2008 program (or which ever year you are accessing). When you open that program folder, you will find a folder inside named "Database." This folder contains all of th current year's returns. You can simply copy and past this folder to whatever location you wish.

If you are storing multiple years' "Database" folders in the same location, be sure to rename the pasted folder to identify the year, e.g., "Datebase 2008." To restore this stored database folder, be sure to rename it again to simply "Database" once it is back in the program folder - to be sure the program will find it when you open a return.

Every year ATX program has a "Database" folder that contains the returns from the Return Manager screen.

One other suggestion.

Drill down in "My Computer" to the ATX 2008 program (or which ever year you are accessing). When you open that program folder, you will find a folder inside named "Database." This folder contains all of th current year's returns. You can simply copy and past this folder to whatever location you wish.

If you are storing multiple years' "Database" folders in the same location, be sure to rename the pasted folder to identify the year, e.g., "Datebase 2008." To restore this stored database folder, be sure to rename it again to simply "Database" once it is back in the program folder - to be sure the program will find it when you open a return.

Every year ATX program has a "Database" folder that contains the returns from the Return Manager screen.

Exactly what is the difference in the ATX folders named 'Backup' and 'Database'? Should we be including both of these folders in our backup procedures?