ATX Community

2010 U.S. Census Cautions to avoid Fraud or Identity Theft

kcjenkins

The IRS is providing the following information to alert taxpayers on being careful when dealing with those claiming to be a census taker.

2010 U.S. Census Cautions to avoid Fraud or Identity Theft

With the U.S. Census process beginning, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises people to be cooperative, but cautious, so as not to become a victim of fraud or identity theft. The first phase of the 2010 U.S. Census is under way as workers have begun verifying the addresses of households across the country. Eventually, more than 140,000 U.S. Census workers will count every person in the United States and will gather information about every person living at each address including name, age, gender, race, and other relevant data. The big question is - how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con artist? BBB offers the following advice:

A. If a U.S. Census worker knocks on your door, they will have a badge, a handheld device, a Census Bureau canvas bag, and a confidentiality notice. Ask to see their identification and their badge before answering their questions. However, you should never invite anyone you don't know into your home.

B. Census workers are currently only knocking on doors to verify address information. Do not give your Social Security number, credit card or banking information to anyone, even if they claim they need it for the U.S. Census. While the Census Bureau might ask for basic financial information, such as a salary range, it will not ask for Social Security, bank account, or credit card numbers nor will employees solicit donations.

Eventually, Census workers may contact you by telephone, mail, or in person at home. However, they will not contact you by Email, so be on the lookout for Email scams impersonating the Census. Never click on a link or open any attachments in an Email that are supposedly from the U.S. Census Bureau.

For more advice on avoiding identity theft and fraud, visit www.bbb.org.

>>how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con artist?<<

Ahh, the fundamental dilemma about Big Government! So the answer is "they will have a badge, a handheld device, a Census Bureau canvas bag, and a confidentiality notice." In other words, cops.

>>how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con artist?<<

Well, I am not David Letterman, but here is my top 10 ways to know if it really is a census worker:

10. You can't understand their broken english

9. They show up in the middle of the day when you are at work

8. They ask to borrow a pencil because they didn't get one issued and the handheld doesn't work

7. While standing at your door with the number on the side of the house, they ask for your address

6. They show up at dinner time and demand that your dinner wait while they talk to you

5. They tell you they used to be community organizers in Chicago

4. The woman shows up with a baby in tow and starts breastfeeding while you answer the questions

3. It takes them 3 days to go to every home on your cul - de - sac. Con artists would have it done in 2 hours.

2. They drive up in a nice car, but can't afford deodorant

And the number one way you can tell if it is a census worker and not a con artist,

They tell you it is their first day on the job and you are the first person they have contacted. They promptly trip on your threshhold and ask for your homeowners insurance information to file a claim.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I am bored right now. If this is not funny to you, please try to do better. I know we have some very creative minds on this board.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I don't care whether they have a badge, hand held device, a canvas bag or a letter. They ain't getting in my home.

Q 1 What does the badge look like?? You can get one at the amusement park.

Q 2 Hand held device aren't there a bunch of them on the market?? (GPS, Blackberry, Ipod, etc...)

Q 3 A canvas bag, I got a closet full of them, which one shall I pick??

Q 4 A letter what is it suppose to say?? Anybody got Microsoft Word or Works, or Print Shop??

Come on any half way decent scam artist can create any and all of these.

Leave me the questions and I will mail them back to Census Bureau. I am really nasty about giving out private info to someone who knocks on my door, especiailly if they come to the front door which is used only by bill collectors and people wanting hand outs.

Sorry to be that way but I don't trust Big Brother.

Tom, like your top 10.

# 11. They show up in a very low to the ground car and bottom out, then ask if there is another road. I tell them this isn't a road it is a cow path and chuckle.

I don't care whether they have a badge, hand held device, a canvas bag or a letter. They ain't getting in my home.

Q 1 What does the badge look like?? You can get one at the amusement park.

Q 2 Hand held device aren't there a bunch of them on the market?? (GPS, Blackberry, Ipod, etc...)

Q 3 A canvas bag, I got a closet full of them, which one shall I pick??

Q 4 A letter what is it suppose to say?? Anybody got Microsoft Word or Works, or Print Shop??

Come on any half way decent scam artist can create any and all of these.

Leave me the questions and I will mail them back to Census Bureau. I am really nasty about giving out private info to someone who knocks on my door, especially if they come to the front door which is used only by bill collectors and people wanting hand outs.

Sorry to be that way but I don't trust Big Brother.

Tom, like your top 10.

# 11. They show up in a very low to the ground car and bottom out, then ask if there is another road. I tell them this isn't a road it is a cow path and chuckle.

I was one of those terrible Census Bureau workers. I was a field supervisor for the 1990 Census, and as recently as 2005, I was again employed by them to do some special census projects. I had to leave them because I moved from Stanislaus County to Colusa County, and they were not doing those special projects there. The badge is an ID badge sealed in plastic like most employers have. The Bag they have has the Census Bureau emblem embedded in it. The part of the census that they are beginning now is only to identify resident addresses, NO personal information--if anyone asks for personal info for the Census now, call the number they give you. It will either be a local number they are using for the Census local office during the 10 yr census or a district office phone number for the Census Bureau. For California the district number is in Seattle WA. Most of the folks that I worked with were very conscientious people and cared about doing the job right. (I do not think your rendering of Census takers is funny, but that is me, if you do so be it.)

Daune/CA

Duane, I am also sorry if I offended you. It is my nature to be careful. It probably stems from the re-evaluation of homes in my area a couple of years ago, when supposed agents came and were talking to you outside while their partner entered your home through another door and robbed you. Again I am sorry.

Duane, I am also sorry if I offended you. It is my nature to be careful. It probably stems from the re-evaluation of homes in my area a couple of years ago, when supposed agents came and were talking to you outside while their partner entered your home through another door and robbed you. Again I am sorry.

Apologies accepted. It just hit me as I think of all the wonderful folks with whom I worked at the Census Bureau. Most of the real ones care about their work. Usually the information can be given at the door, however when they get into more complex census projects, it may take abt 20 minutes or so to complete the survey. If you are uncertain, call the number given by the census worker or call local authorities-they are usually notified when census takers are working in the area.

Best wishes to all and may the census go well, it makes a difference in how much Federal monies local communities receive. I know you did not mean to offend me, it just hit me wrong by knowing how much most of those folks care about doing a good job.

This is still the best forum on the internet. Thanks to all that make it possible.

Daune/CA