ATX Community

Don't Text & Drive

Eli

Thanks Eli,

It's a very important message. I'll take this time to throw in the reminder to not drive drunk either. My would-be brother-in-law was killed by a drunk driver almost 25 years ago. We all need to remember how important it is to be awake and alert when we drive.

I can not conceive what is so important that you must create a text message while driving or receive a text message while driving. I have a cell phone (only my family has my cell number) for calls and if someone is calling me and there is any other person in my car I will have them answer the phone, or if I am alone I will pull over to answer. Sometimes I think technology has gone a bit to far.

Well, there is no way to stop some people from being stupid, and there never has been.

There are laws on the books in -every- state already about distracted/negligent drivers. We don't need new, item-specific laws.

You may ban cell phone talk -- or text messaging, or name the specific item you think is stupid (and with which I will most likely agree!). That won't stop the idiot putting on her mascara while driving on the highway. Or the nincompoop reading the morning paper (or sales quota report) in stop-and-go traffic. Or the person trying to eat their morning cereal with milk from a bowl with a spoon. The bozo adding granola to his yogurt at 75mph. Those are all actual examples that I have either seen in person or have read the news reports (mainly post-accident).

So it's not new laws, rather it is the enforcement of the existing "negligent driver" statutes. With immediate and definite penalties. Mascara in your hand? Lose your license for 90 days. Open yogurt? Ditto. No recourse, no exceptions. (Obviously those don't apply to passengers, just drivers.)

But people will still do stupid things and some of them will die. And some of them will kill innocents around them, and that is really and truly sad (one of my college pals never came back for sophomore year; hit -walking on the sidewalk- by a drunk who didn't realize he wasn't on the road). It was that way back in the days of horse-and-buggy, and even in the days of ox-drawn wagons. Some things don't change. And more unenforced or unenforceable laws won't do it. Drive (even walk!) defensively, and always assume the people around you are drunk, high, or just deranged. Chances are you won't be far off with at least some of them.

My wife teaches high school seniors, so she is going to make sure that all her students view this clip. If she can get it passed the school IT guy who blocks almost every web site in existence. I only hope that it might help 1 kid realize that they are not captive of their stupid phones.

Thanks for passing it on.