ATX Community

Maybe I goofed?

Tax Bird

Ok. So I finally get my tax return done (today) and I e-file it.

After transmitting, I read the deadline notice that says something to the effect that new returns should not be submitted after 10/15.

I'm going to wait and see what happens but I was wondering if anyone knew why you couldn't transmit new returns after the 15th. The postmark would rightfully show them as late so why should this be an issue?

>>if anyone knew why you couldn't transmit new returns after the 15th<<

I think the federal government works on a fiscal year ending October 15th, so after that it is a prior year tax return. Oh no--it's the BANKS' fiscal year, and without RAL's the whole e-file house of cards totally collapses. Either that, or their Norton anti-virus protection expires and it takes a month or two to get the renewal authorized. Or it might relate to their cutoff for flagging returns for audit.

Anyway, that's just the way the world is. Birds fly south for the winter; bears and e-file go into hibernation.

>>if anyone knew why you couldn't transmit new returns after the 15th<<

I think the federal government works on a fiscal year ending October 15th, so after that it is a prior year tax return. Oh no--it's the BANKS' fiscal year, and without RAL's the whole e-file house of cards totally collapses. Either that, or their Norton anti-virus protection expires and it takes a month or two to get the renewal authorized. Or it might relate to their cutoff for flagging returns for audit.

Anyway, that's just the way the world is. Birds fly south for the winter; bears and e-file go into hibernation.

Should I expect it to be rejected then and consequently have to paper file it?

>>Should I expect it to be rejected then and consequently have to paper file it?<<

Hard to say what might happen. You are the first person to ever try.

Leave it to me to once again be the accidental pioneer. Seems to be a life theme I can't quite shake.

In any case, I'll monitor it and keep you all posted.

I may end up running into a similar situation. I am testing other software packages and one of them will let me do any state's return. ATX 1040 only let me do 3 states, and late this year I got a new client with a 4th state. So I used the new software but got a reject (on 10/15 & 10/16) due to a software problem. It didn't transmit one of the forms I had included. I will transmit the return with the same DCN (I overrode the default DCN) tomorrow. I hope it goes through. I checked with the e-file help desk and they said it should work. Re-submissions can be made until 10/20. I also hope the direct debit with work OK.

Best of luck to both of us.

I didn't goof (or maybe I did by not giving the client a firm deadline to return the signed 8879). Just got back a signed 8879 for a 2006 1120S. I know the cover letter told the client the deadline they had to file the return but she didn't even sign the 8879 until 10/1 (and she had it for at least 2 months ! ).

So I went ahead and cleared it for e-file and off it went this morning. ATX transmitted it to the service and I'll let you all know if it went through or was rejected.

My clients teach me something new all the time.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Kenner, LA

You can actually still efile 1120S returns even into next year.

If they are late, they are late, but you can still efile them.

1120-type efiles use a different system than 1040's.

The IRS shuts down the 1040 system altogether after October 20th so you cannot efile anymore.

However, they are still taking 1120-type returns :)