ATX Community

Depreciation for 2009

cientax

Just wanting to find out what is new for 2009 depreciation for vehicles for 2009. I've been researching but unable to find any information for 2009 depreciation for vehicles placed in service this year. Can someone help in sending me to a site please. I know I read something about new depreciaton deduction for 2009 for vehicles placed in service this year but can't remember where I read it and don';t remember what it refered to. Someone (not client) called asking about but I could'nt give any reference because brain (mine) went dead as it is now. Thanks

I think that maybe I was thinking about something other than depreciation. I went home and slept on it all night and then it hit me. I think what I heard was something about sales tax on vahicles and not the depreciation. Some new law about sales tax credits or something to that nature. Help please.

Never mind I found what I was looking for.

Well, Jack, as someone who has at times been accused of offering too much advice here, I'd have to at least partially disagree with you. Sometimes a question needs our words, especially if it requires more input before we can answer. On the other hand, often a link is the perfect answer, especially if the answer is long, and the link gives full details. Also, sometimes it's good to teach newbies that, while we are willing to help, they really should, many times, do at least a simple IRS.gov or Google search first. Especially if they just need a direct, yes or no answer. Where they need our input is where the issue is not "can I do A" but rather, the sort of "which would be better, A or B, given that ......" question.

I think there is room for both types of answers. I often give just a link to the simple question, myself. And, especially when busy, it's better to give a link than to just skip it because we don't have time to write an essay. And this question, for example, asked about changes in a specific area, and there the best answer at this point is to direct them to the IRS site which spells it out. Now, if after they read the IRS info, they have further questions, that would be when they could post that specific question, and we will join in and discuss "what the heck they mean by saying ........?"

I don't basically disagree with your comments KC. But in this case a link without a single comment from only one member is not very friendly and this board is known for being friendly. Although most members are very knowledgeable on all subjects we can all learn by the post of others. I learn something new every day in this business and I have been at it a long time. A link doesn't tell me anything unless I take the time to log on to the link website and read all the *unrelated* discussions to find the answer. I am sure Taxbilly knew the answer and/or could have at least made some comment. What say you Taxbilly?

Old Jack:

If you read cientax's original post he asked for a website and I provided one. I'm not sure if by answering the question I should have gone into a long discourse on the general question of depreciation.

I provided the Kiplinger link because cientax's second post wanted information on the new laws. The Kiplinger link is a good reference for now until additional info comes out on the new law passed this week. I posted the website to the technical summary of the new law separately because I figured many of us had questions, especially with the mandatory e-file and the extended first time homebuyer credit extension and the new provision for those who own a home now.

Karen:

My secret is simple, really. I peruse three other boards daily (Quickfinder, Fairmark, Tax Almanac) and when I come across something of use I bookmark it so that I can read it later.

As to research, taxalmanac.com has a cornucopia of ways under their research resources button to access just about anything in the IRC, Regs, Tax Court, etc.

I try to answer a specific question if I can but don't feel I should "teach". If someone at least makes an attempt to find the answer to their question and are stumped then I think the wise sages of this board can help. I know we all have our specialities. I see Old Jaclk answering with ease corporation and partnership questions on another board and of course we know KC and Jainen know everything! :~)

taxbilly

>>cientax's original post he asked for a website and I provided one.<<

>>Never mind I found what I was looking for. <<

Taxbilly: In his/her second post s(he) said never mind, yet you provided a second link, 23 minutes after his/her post, which s(he) did not ask for. However, that was good as it might have provided more material on the subject since you offered no comment. None of us are here to teach, but most are here to learn and help others. I for one am certainly not here to provide research for others by way of finding links to post. Of course, in the past I have provided links to support my comments [As member #91, I have been posting on this board since it started].

I appreciate that taxbilly provides links. Even when I haven't raised the question, I will always check out the links as they help me increase my knowlege. And while I do not expect others to teach me, I do appreciate everyones willing to share their knowlege and expertise especially during the busy tax season.

I have never been impressed, nor had a good experience with, before preparing taxes myself with CPA's. Over the years they have cost my family money because of the mistakes that were made, and I mean simple errors that they should have caught. That was until I met a CPA in my town after I became a tax preparer. This man was willing to teach me even though I didn't work for him and he knew I was a tax preparer. This guy has a brilliant mind and his willingness to share his knowlege is why I do not hesitate to refer my clients ,with more complex tax issues than I feel capable of handling, to him.

I think if everyone was more willing to help the world would be a better place!

Just my two cents worth!

Deb!