ATX Community

Red forms????

Denne

I was ordering my W-2's....or trying....today. To my surprise I couldn't find the Red W-2 forms..... I am wondering if we can print them on regular paper this year or if the website was faulty. Of course the office was closed by the time I was working on ordering ;~( The publication 1141 that I found on the Internet was for last year not the current year. Anyone know what is happening this year with the Red forms?

Thanks.......Denne

Denne, I ordered some of mine at the IRS web site.

The Copy A's were red!

Go to: www.irs.gov

Click on IRS

Click on Forms and publications

Click on Employer forms and instructions

below the word Order.

Remember that while the IRS requires the 1099's to be the 'red' forms, the SSA no longer has that requirement.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Kenner, LA

I was ordering my W-2's....or trying....today. To my surprise I couldn't find the Red W-2 forms..... I am wondering if we can print them on regular paper this year or if the website was faulty. Of course the office was closed by the time I was working on ordering ;~( The publication 1141 that I found on the Internet was for last year not the current year. Anyone know what is happening this year with the Red forms?

Thanks.......Denne

For the last 3 or 4 years red copies not required for W-2s. In the pasr 1099's require red copy, but did not inquire about this year. Do your research and save/make more money unless your new to tax prep.

SSA has allowed laser printed plain paper W-2/W-3 since TY 2001, providing you are using software that has been approved by the SSA (the software vendor has to put their vendor code on the forms).

As far as I know at this moment, IRS does not offer a laser printed plain paper 1099 approval, although I am rechecking. Have heard that some print 1099's on plain paper without problems, but as a software provider, I cannot offer it until there is formal approval/acceptance.

Pub 1179 is the document for substitute 1099 forms. The latest release of 1179 was Oct 2008. There is nothing I see where anything other than red dropout ink can be used on Copy A.

"Proposed substitutes of Copy A must be an exact replica of the official IRS

form with respect to layout and content. Proposed substitutes for Copy A

that do not conform to the specifications in this revenue procedure are not

acceptable. Further, if you file such forms with the IRS, you may be subject

to a penalty for failure to file a correct information return under section 6721

of the Code. Generally, the penalty is $50 for each return where such failure

occurs (up to $250,000). No IRS office is authorized to allow deviations

from this revenue procedure."

"All print on Copy A of Forms 1098, 1099, 5498, and the print on Form 1096

above the statement, “Return this entire page to the Internal Revenue Service.

Photocopies are not acceptable.” must be in Flint J-6983 red OCR dropout ink

or an exact match. However, the four-digit form identifying number must be in

nonreflective carbon-based black ink in OCR A font."

"Important information: The forms produced under these specifications

must be guaranteed to function properly when processed through High Speed

Scan-Optics 9000mm scanners. Forms require precision spacing, printing,

and trimming."

And there it is... ;) Silly. I can fill in the forms in my lousy scribble and be compliant (and which get scanned), but I cannot use a good quality printer to make the form - of which the body should not be scanned anyway...

The equipment argument is silly. One can print other IRS forms, ones with incredibly tight and inconsistent spacing, and be legitimate, but not 1099's, which have nice wide spacing and rarely change format. (Referring to a 941 which, again, looks to be changing alignment for 2010, for some unknown reason.) Now if I were working in the equipment/programming room at the IRS or SSA, I might feel differently.

Oh well, we play the cards we are dealt, or we don't play at all.

The IRS will NEVER change this requirement. They are trying to get everyone to file electronically and they will make it as difficult as possible to file manually.

Or....

Join the 21st Century and e-file 1099s and Upload W2s.

It will soon be 2010!

We send 1099s to clients and recipients, and hold e-filing them till a week before deadline. This allows time for "inaccuracies" to be reported. Then changes can be made, new copies sent BEFORE info is sent to the IRS.

E-filing 1099s takes about .2 seconds each. It is made VERY SIMPLE in ATX.

Or....

Join the 21st Century and e-file 1099s and Upload W2s.

It will soon be 2010!

We send 1099s to clients and recipients, and hold e-filing them till a week before deadline. This allows time for "inaccuracies" to be reported. Then changes can be made, new copies sent BEFORE info is sent to the IRS.

E-filing 1099s takes about .2 seconds each. It is made VERY SIMPLE in ATX.

Help Big Brother watch you more closely and easily- E File

Help Big Brother watch you more closely and easily- E File

Do you use a cell phone, or receive calls on from a cell phone? You know that Big Brother monitors ALL cell phone calls and screens them for content? dunno.gif

If you don't believe me, just watch the movie "Enemy of the State" With Wil Smith and Gene Hackman.

Now if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you, and some ocean front property in Arizona REAL CHEAP!