ATX Community

New to e-filing 941, W-2, and 1099"s

Tax Prep by Deb

Hopefully you all can direct me on what I need to do to get ready to e-file the above forms.

I know I need to get a hold of e-services and update my account to include business returns, also I believe I need to register with social security to e-file the w-2's. With Social Security, do I have to register for each client I intend to e-file for? I've looked at the web site, but all I see is the link for employers to file there own W-2's. Am I missing something? Is there anything else?

Also what form or forms does my client need to sign to authorize me to e-file the returns for them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Deb!

Deb-

If you are on ATX, look at their knowledge base as when I started doing this several years ago they had a pretty good guide on how to do all this. Also, I can't believe the SSA site is that difficult to figure out as I pretty blindly make my way through this each year. I can't help you until I start processing my own this way because I've got nothing to walk through the process with. For e-filing 941s you need to decide if you want to be a reporting agent which requires you to file for 5 digit PIN or if you want to apply for the companies you are filing for to have 10 digit PIN which also needs to be applied for. Hope this helps.

Julie

In ATX you can efile a Pin Registration for Form(s) 940/941/944. The client will have to sign for you to efile but then they will receive from IRS a 10 digit PIN number in a few weeks. There is likely a paper option but I have only done this online - easier.

If you are a reporting agent, file a Form 8655 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8655.pdf)for each client. You will be sent a 5 digit PIN as a reporting agent for all clients for whom you are a reporting agent.