ATX Community

8879 Forms

Denne

I have several years of the 8879 Forms. How long are you saving these forms? I am ready to begin getting rid of lots of paperwork that is older..... Also, how many years back are you saving the hard copies of the tax returns and working papers? Can you tell I am really out of space here???

Thanks for your ideas on elimination and retention.....

I have several years of the 8879 Forms. How long are you saving these forms? I am ready to begin getting rid of lots of paperwork that is older..... Also, how many years back are you saving the hard copies of the tax returns and working papers? Can you tell I am really out of space here???

Thanks for your ideas on elimination and retention.....

I have scanned all files including 8879's and burned to cd's in duplicate. See page 30 of Pub. 1345. They must be retained for 3 years but "EROs may electronically image and store all paper records they are required to retain for IRS e-file. This includes Forms 8453 ... and Forms 8879 and 8878."

Thank you both for the tip on the three years. That is what I thought, but then saved even more than that for some reason....who knows! Thanks for the other idea of scanning them to disks too.