ATX Community

Unbelievable Prospective Client

Crank

We all get them. The prospective client who wastes your time or refuses to take your advice for his own good. I just had to share this one.

This guy calls me yesterday wanting to know what I charge to do a Federal return. That's the first warning sign for me. People who say "I can do the state and local returns myself", because they are looking to save some money. So I tell this guy that my fee's are based on what forms are needed and I proceed to ask him some questions about his situation so I can give him a ball park number on the overall fee. During this I find out that he has been doing his returns himself and over the past 4 years.

In addition to his regular w-2 job he has been doing some work on the side which he was paid with a 1099-Misc(about $4,000). He has just been including the gross amount without taking any offsetting expenses.

So after I tell him my fee would be about $150 for a 1040, A, B, C, M, ,SE, 5695 & E-File (cheap right and I'm a CPA) he says it too expensive and he's only pay's $20 to do his federal return online somewhere (I wasnt really paying attention where ... lol). I guess he wanted me to beat the $20. So I explain to him that I would be saving him significant dollars that would MORE than cover my fee since he is overpaying by not taking his expenses against the 1099-Misc income but he responds that he'd be crazy to pay me that much money. Even told him that I can amend past returns and he would come out ahead after my fee's but he wasn't buying it. Some people amaze me!

I keep a log of prospective clients each year with notes. The final line in his note said, "I don't expect him to return as a client. Isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but still a tool none the less!" :D:lol: :spaz:

>>He has just been including the gross amount without taking any offsetting expenses.<<

If you believe that, I've got a great investment for you--a golden bridge here in California. You'll get $6.00 for every car that crosses!

In my experience, it's just the opposite (all the expenses without the income). So in my opinion, you were probably not talking to a prospective client, but a prospective competitor.