ATX Community

ATX Scan & Fill

HV Ken

So I decided to give Scan & Fill a try for this tax season. Here are my initial impressions:

Almost 90% of all W2s scanned have required minor modifications before I could import from S&F into ATX.

About 20% of the W2s have not "scanned" at all. :(

So far, I find that it is taking me more time than saving me time. I think the concept is great and it is a step in the right direction. I am hopeful that the program will continue to improve and become an asset - I just don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet.... I am liking the Document Manager piece of the equation....

Anyone else using it and have impressions to share???

So I decided to give Scan & Fill a try for this tax season. Here are my initial impressions:

Almost 90% of all W2s scanned have required minor modifications before I could import from S&F into ATX.

About 20% of the W2s have not "scanned" at all. :(

So far, I find that it is taking me more time than saving me time. I think the concept is great and it is a step in the right direction. I am hopeful that the program will continue to improve and become an asset - I just don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet.... I am liking the Document Manager piece of the equation....

Anyone else using it and have impressions to share???

I have not tried Scan & Fill, but I'm using the Document Manager... They did not send it in December, I finally got it about two weeks ago... Have a question about Document Manager (I've been learning it as I go.)...

After scanning a document it says in red letters "no document in scanner" and freezes up. I try to click on "done" or even try to minimize the box... No good. Each time I have to alt control delete and end task to get close it down until the next client.... Any suggestions??? I'm using a xerox 152 scanner (yes, it's twain compliant).

Appreciate any comments.

Taxtrio

...my opinion of ATX's is document manager has never been good as can be seen from other posts of mine.

Hi - I don't recall your other posts on Document Manager, and I am a new user of it (plus Scan & Fill which IMHO is not ready for prime time yet) this year. Would you mind summarizing your issues with Document Manager?

This could be an extremely long post and Eric may not like me taking up all his bandwith! Plus I am turning over a new leaf (think it's a Palm leaf) and have decided not to bash CCH anymore (like anyone that knows me out here would believe that).

So may be best to direct you to these posts in this community:

And add -- if I remember correctly, you had to use Social Security numbers for each and every client. Well I don't do just Tax Preparation work (attorney here) and for non-tax clients I do not get Soc numbers.

IMHO (and again for those that know me here -- I know, I am not really that humble), it just doesn't come even close to what a true document manager should do. That being said, all the tax software company's Doc Mgrs are not very good and the only good ones are rather pricey.

In the posts above, there were some reasonable alternatives, although I am afraid they did not fit my needs, so I am still looking at ones in the $1,000 to $5000 range and not really willing to spend more than $1000. Just think Doc Mgrs are not really ready for the small user as the only ones that do a decent job are too expensive for small offices.

And Ken, well you don't recall my other posts as I have been missing in action. Got sidetracked in the off season and started spending way to much time collecting E-Books. But it is tax season and I am BACK -- Sarcastic humor and all. Yes, Jainen, I am learning from you, but you are still the king here and I don't expect I will ever dethrone you there. So Jainen, I will just, as always, enjoy reading your posts! And oh everyone,the "--" is an emdash, told you I spent way to much time downloading ebooks.

Judge Joel!

Oh and Ken, the Judge title, is an an honorary title in this community. and we have a Hangman also, but I will let him introduce himself.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the pointers and thoughts on a document manager. It's a new concept to me, and I want to ensure I am investing in one that makes sense for the long haul, so you give me some points to ponder.

As for scan & fill, I reached my limit this weekend and will be seeking a refund as it is just not ready for prime time yet. I still believe in the concept and hope that it improves and becomes a useful tool. It would certainly be easier if there were standard formats for the basic documents used in reporting information that gets reported on tax returns. But I dream....

OK - so this referenced post expressed your issues with the ATX document manager as: "IT SUCKED!"

That really doesn't offer any thoughts as to what it was you didn't like, what was missing, etc. That is the kind of information / details I would find helpful!

Well, I can't say whether it has or has not improved, since I can't compare it to two years ago! I suspect that it has improved, but with the wide variety of W2s (most of the ones I see are shaded, different layouts), it has to be a difficult task for the OCR....

I believe they just need an abundance of real W2s, but how do you do that with all the privacy laws now in effect ? Or would sending them to ATX be covered by the fact we are already doing that anyway when we e-file ?

Ken:

As for Scan and Fill, agree with the other Joel. Too many errors. By the time we proof this to correct the errors we could have entered the W-2's a few times over manually. Great concept that definitely fails in the execution.

Also, after the first year, we are only entering numbers. I am pretty sure most of us are pretty proficient with a 10key and can enter numbers pretty quickly. So unless we are using low level secretarial and clerical staff to prepare returns at $7.00 to $8.00 per hour and then reviewing it, its virtually worthless.

As for document managers, here are a couple of the high end ones, that are -- well to expensive for small offices, but do show what should be in a true document manager:

I think this is one of the best, also Expensive!

http://www.laserfiche.com

and their guide at

http://www.laserfiche.com/form/guide/document_management_guide.html?gclid=CITw8tTn458CFRkragodQUdCWw

If I remember correctly a fairly feature full doc mgr:

http://www.ademero.com/products/features/

This site has some nice information on going paperless:

http://www.doc-it.net/main.cfm?CFID=4877678&CFTOKEN=51294445

another high end software:

http://www.oracle.com/products/middleware/content-management/document-management.html

More reasonable priced one, that seems to have added features recently. Once looked at it and found it limited, but not sure anymore:

http://www.itaz.com/sohodox/index.htm

Another low end one that seems to have recently added features:

http://www.lucion.com/index.html

Now some of what I think needs to be in a doc mgr:

1. OCR conversion to make contents of file searchable

2. Full Boolean search engine, not just the ability to find my client! What good is that?

3. Ability to maintain my own document structure (my file folders etc) and does not force me into there structure and change how I do things

4. Does not use proprietary formats

5. Ability to deal with multiple file formats - Word, Excel, WordPerfect PDF etc

6. PORTABLE - and I mean by this, when this softare dies, I don't lose anything when I have to go to another software

7. Allow me to create my own fields

8. Ability to automatically populate fields

9. Does not force me to use their fields.

10. OCR - I know I said this in number 1 above. It's IMPORTANT! How do you search for files by file name alone. I have over 3 terabytes of information. I don't want to look for that needle in the haystack by myself

11. It needs to be FAST!

12. Allow me to have Multiple file structures. I have some files sorted by client folders and some by type of document. For instance a folder called "Contracts - Leases".

13. Work on my computer

Now how many of the small list above does ATX Doc Mgr do - ONE - #13, it works on my computer!

Not real useful when you really get down to it. KC has a couple she finds interesting also, but I forget which ones.

Joel

Ok, I have ranted enough. Good luck with the search.