ATX Community

Taxpayer Advocate Service

Janitor Bob

I just finished assisting a client who had not filed 04,05,06,07,08...Have been working with her for the past few years to get these cleared up and filed. We were doing good for a while (small refund forfeited for 04, and only small balance due for 05)...In September 09, I finally got her 06 filed. We heard nothing regarding installment payment request that we sent with 06 return, then client received notice of wage garnishment. It turns out that Kansas City "Lost" the 06 return, so IRS assessed client full balance due with interest/penalties....$24,000. The actual amount due on the return was only $3,800. Since no return was processed, IRS was placing levy against full 1099 income without regard to expenses.

I called the taxpayer Advocate office for the first time....and I am happy I did. The guy who took my call and the case worker subsequently appointed were great! They worked with me in getting the wage garnishment delayed then cancelled. They assisted in getting copies of 2006 return filed with the right person and worked with me to get penalties removed and installment payment plan set up for client based on the $3,800 owed. Then she pushed 07 and 08 returns to a specific person for faster processing (as those two years had combined refund of $2,900). More importantly, they worked with me (and client directly) in a way that made them seem to be on "our side". They were very clear, knowledgeable, and easy to talk to.

Client learned a lesson, I gained some experience (and a nice fee)...and now the client (and her freinds) think I am the "best tax dude ever"

Good work "DUDE".

It is really unfortunate that all of the IRS is not as helpful as the TA office. They should be. We are all in this to get the returns right. I know - the examination division needs to be (well - I can't say that word on this site) sometimes, but in general, there is no reason the rest of the IRS can't be as helpful.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I too have used the TP Advocate office. Had a case I had been working on for 3 years with numerous IRS employees (agents or whatever you call them) who apparantly have a different 10 key than I do. Or at the very least one that adds and subtracts differently. Anyway, the TA got it straight in two months and admitted that each change should be presented one at a time and slowly as to not confuse the folks at the IRS. I quit writing letters to the IRS as it appears some can't read or they don't read them at all. Glad you had great success JB :)

I had a client that finally filed his 2007 and 2008 returns in early November 2009. They received their CT refunds 23 November. The IRS misplaced the 2007 return and held up the 2008 refund until 2007 was processed. November was a bad month for the IRS! Do they lay off employees after 15 October until 15 January?

I'm glad yours worked out well. My client received his 2007 refund today and was told his 2008 will be mailed this month.