ATX Community

ATX Database on different partition

carolynm

I've spent the weekend moving programs/files to a new hard drive so that my chugging computer can keep on chugging a while longer. My goal is to have my computer set up like this:

H:-windows operating system only

I: Programs

C: Data

ATX by default sticks it's database in the program files so it is now located on my "I" drive. I'd very much like it to be on "C". Does anyone know how to configure ATX so that it will use (load) a database in another location?

I'm doing this for ease of backup -I'll be backing up C: only. If the database gets dumped onto "I" I'm afraid it won't get backed up properly. I think I can configure ATX to backup to c: but that won't help as my backup program doesn't automatically back-up bck files.

Thanks for any pointers

Carolyn

Your motives are good, but it seams to me that you are inviting problems. Rolling over returns next year comes to mind. You will need to instruct the 2010 software where to look for the 2009 database. Maybe you are a much higher level geek than I am (and there is no offense intended in that statement), but I like keeping things simple with my tax software. I put in 97 hours last week (and expect the same for the next ten weeks) and the last thing I want is computer and/or software problems. I would, in your situation, attempt to find a way to back up the database where ever ATX puts it. BTW, I am running my software on a Server running Windows Server 2003 operating system and have been for the past four or five years. I have the hard drives mirrored and I do a total backup to tape every night and rotate the backups off site.

If I remember correctly, there used to be an unofficial setting for the program's configuration file that would allow you to do this.

I'm also guessing that since it's unofficial, use of the setting isn't well tested (if at all) and like rfassett says, you may invite problems by using it. I'm not even sure that anyone at ATX would admit that it exists, if it still does.

I think you'll find that many programs don't have an option to change the location of data storage. It may be easier to install all software to one drive, data and all, and use a backup utility that allows you to pick and choose which folders on that drive you want backed up.

"I'm doing this for ease of backup -I'll be backing up C: only. If the database gets dumped onto "I" I'm afraid it won't get backed up properly. I think I can configure ATX to backup to c: but that won't help as my backup program doesn't automatically back-up bck files."

Carolyn, just create anothe backup folder on C:. When you do your backup out of ATX, let it do its normal backup. Then browse to your second backup folder on C; and do another backup into that folder.

I do the same here in this office. ATX is on the server and the regular backup folder is there. However, I have another backup folder that resides on my workstation's desktop. I always do a second backup to that folder.

Maribeth

I do the same thing Maribeth does, backing up to three different places, routinely. When the program closes, it backs up automatically, then I use the Backup/Restore utility to back up to a different computer in the office, then to my flashdrive. Once home, I restore from that flashdrive to my home computer.

Another option would be to buy another external hard drive, and install the program on that drive. Then you can back up that drive every day, and since it will have nothing but the tax program, it will always be backed up.